Video camera help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by b50, Jul 29, 2012.

1. b50 macrumors newbie

My wife and I are looking for a camera/video can that will be good for both taking pictures of kids and vacation trips. We also would like to have video capabilities to be able to record kids sport games, concerts, and stuff around the house. I am looking to ideally spend under $300 but would spend up to $5-600 for the perfect device. I am not looking for perfect video and picture quality but I would like to have a great combo option so I can capture what i described above.

I have been looking at three options a:
    1. Nikon D3100 - my biggest downside with this is it only takes 10minutes of video.
    2. Samsung Qf20 - I am worried the photo quality and video quality won't be great.
    3. Panasonic lumix dmc-zs19k - I am concerned this will have poor video quality for what I described above.

Any help would be awesome.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I'm not sure why you are concerned about the quality of the video. All three do full HD 1080 video. Of the three, the Samsung gives the lowest resolution still photos at only 5.3mp.

With regards to the 10 minute video limit with the Canon, that will be 10 minutes continuous shooting. Obviously you can have more than 10 minutes, but not in one go.

3. b50 thread starter macrumors newbie

My concern is will there be low light issues with these cameras. My understanding is just because it says HD doesn't mean perfect HD quality in low light or zoom situations.

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You really have to decide whether you want great photos with so-so video or great video with so-so photos. There's nothing out there that does both.

I have been waiting for DSLR video capability to match the ease of a decent AVCHD camcorder, and I'm still waiting. There's issues with autofocus, panning, stereo audio, etc.

So I decided to get a dedicated camcorder (Panasonic V700K) to complement my DSLR. I mitigate the inconvenience with carrying both devices by getting an R-strap for the DSLR and I rigged up a neck strap for the camcorder. It got the job done on my recent vacation.

5. b50 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is really helpful. We will probably have to end up buying both as well. So assuming we want great video for sub 300 is there a decent camcorder for that? I have been looking at some and there are bad reviews for all of them so I am hesitant to pick one up.

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

The Panasonic is a great point and shoot camera, and it's video is good too ! The only issue is that because it is small and light, for video it can be shaky especially if you are zoomed to the maximum. Just get a cheap monopod for when you know you are going to be doing video and you should be fine. They're relatively small and light as well, so it's not a problem for traveling.

When you say "My understanding is just because it says HD doesn't mean perfect HD quality in low light or zoom situations." you have to realise that truly good video quality in low light means getting a camera at least in the thousands of dollars, and ALL cameras need at least some light ! You should try the panasonic with a monopod, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.

7. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I would go for the panasonic. If I'm right the lens is great! And it's designed for people that just want to capture the moment, take photos for the kids. It's also easier as you can just switch to video as soon as you want. I think the samsung quality won't be that much better.

If you want to go more professionally, buy or have expensive lenses or want to get into the DSLR area, so you should get the Nikon. But judging from your first post this is not the case.

I use the Canon 600D. I just love being able to shoot quickly, great with low light and a lot of option + lenses. I went to the circus and after a few pictures of the tigers I wanted to have a video. I could just change some settings and it was recording video. I also make small films/videos for fun. Most scenes are set-up and the Canon really gave me freedom to get the most out of the shot.

8. b50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. That helps a lot. I am not planning on doing anything professional. I just want to be able to easily capture things with the kids. The Panasonic appeared to be the best overall option for me, but I basically wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.