Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Ok, here's the deal. My buddy is going to Africa in a few months, and wants to get a nice Digital Video Camera to take with him. He wants to take pretty good still pictures, as well as nice HD video. His price limit is $1000, and he is NOT a professional.

What would you get? Thanks

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Ok, here's the deal. My buddy is going to Africa in a few months, and wants to get a nice Digital Video Camera to take with him. He wants to take pretty good still pictures, as well as nice HD video. His price limit is $1000, and he is NOT a professional.

get a 850$ DV camera and a 150$ photo camera.

seniorstinky

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

I haven't seen a video camera that even comes close to a standard camera when it comes to pictures. Some of the things he'll want to consider:

Which will I be doing more, still photography or video? If it's still photography, I might be more inclined to separate the purchase.

Will he want to take pictures as he's doing video? Not all video cameras can do both at the same time.

Do you want quick still photo shots? The speed of the video camera photo may not be what you need.

I'd strongly recommend going to a brick and mortar shop an testing the video camera before you make any purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.