Video Camera with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stovetop6872, Jan 26, 2008.

1. stovetop6872 macrumors regular

Does anyone suggest a video camera for a user with a MacBook Pro? I'd like Hi-definition. This would be in use with iMovie 08, and final cut express OR final cut pro. Do you like tape, harddrive, flash...etc. Thanks

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I've been tempted to get a video camera since having iDVD and iMovie. I wouldn't set your heart on imovie08 since Apple decided to get rid of the timeline bar but if you do end up getting iLife08 which comes with iMovie 08, you can download imovie06 free from apples site which is awesome.

As far as your video camera depends on how much you want to spend. Going with a HDD will cost you more but will be faster downloading movies off of it. Honestly i would aim towards the HDD one to save time and easier to snatch the movies off of.

3. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I bought the HG10 from Canon (hard disk) and really like it. I use it with the iMac and MBP and it works great with iMovie 08.

5. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If you can wait until April, the Canon HF-10 looks amazing. If not, go with thx Canon HG-10.

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

How can you survive without the timeline??

8. Kelly™ macrumors regular

NOOO!!!!!
    DONT!

I have the non High Def 60gb sister version of that camera and it WILL NOT recognize the codec for some reason in most apple application like imovie, etc..
    I have to transcode all the things I record with VLC Media Player before I can edit them in any apple or adobe programs. :/

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

My previous video editing was done on an XP machine running Ulead Studio 8.0, after all that fun, iMovie 08 and OS X have been a dream.

(never used iMovie 06 to compare it to)

10. dap1215 macrumors regular

I have a Sony HDR-SR7, 60gig HD cam that does fine with the MBP. I hook it up and iMovie sees it right off the bat and pops up the import screen without any issues. The only thing that it doesn't do is record live to the MBP, which I wish it did. But other then that I have been happy with it.

I took this video yesterday with it using only sunlight coming through windows of my APT. It is a tad grainy, cuz of compression, but over all I happy with it.

http://thedavidpoeshow.blip.tv/#632570

Outside video are truly GREAT looking. I hadn't taken any till last week and was very happy. Inside videos with poor poor lighting will be grainy. Over all very happy.

Dave

11. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you suggest AVCHD or HDV for highest quality possible. Do they make HDV haddrive or flash based camcorders or is it only tape? Also, if you suggest AVCHD, do you suggest harddrive or flash? Thanks in advance

12. dap1215 macrumors regular

I'm guessing that flash will have a faster burn down time, but I would say it proly wont be noticeable. Also flash is going to consume less battery, but is going to have less space. As for the AVCHD vs HDV, I think that this is a highly debatable subject. AVCHD is new, but seems to be catching on very fast. I guess that it would come to what you are doing with this camera and how you will be using it.

Mine is AVCHD and is a HD based recorder.. OVer all I'm happy. Maybe go out and buy 2 of your favs and play around with them and return the one you don't like? I donno. Good luck!

13. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

14. stovetop6872 thread starter macrumors regular

budget

well not too much over 1,000. 1,200 at the VERY MOST :)

15. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Well, then theres many options for under 1000 (err did you mean dollars $ or pounds £?)
    Anyway I've used many types of camcorders in my profession. The two most brands I'm familiar with is Canon and Sony. Both tend to make very good quality products. Sturdy and reliable.
    Your best bet is to try them out in a electronics store or something.
    I find my self using tape, mini dv's and hard disks

I'll just recommend the
    Canon HV20
    Great quality HDV images, and price is falling a bit now.