Video Cameras: Point and Shoot and Prosumer

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lindahl22, Jul 10, 2008.

1. lindahl22 macrumors member

Hello All,

Today, I am looking for a nice relatively cheap point and shoot video camera. I am thinking about getting the DXG-569V which is a 720p camera that costs $169. I would use this camera to shoot family vacations and other events, that wouldn't need to be awesome quality. I would use iMovie and Final Cut Express to edit the video. Would this work? and Are there negatives to this camera?

The other camera that I would want would be a prosumer one that I would edit with Final Cut Express and eventually Final Cut Studio. I would want it to be 2K or 1K quality (Higher than HD, RED Quality) so that I could use digital zooms in Final Cut. The pricing around this camera should be around or under $1,000. I would use it to make movies and video that are semiprofessional quality. What camera or cameras fit this description?

2. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

Did you want HD?
    I'd recommend a Canon HV20. I had one before, and enjoyed it. It also has a huge support base.
    As far as the DXG-569V, I've never been a fan of those sub $200 cameras... I feel like the quality once you put it on a TV is just not worth it. Perhaps for the web?
    Can you possibly just put the money together and buy 1 better camera for use with both?

3. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Um I could use 1 but I want 2, one that about $1000 and the other that is around $300, and yes I want HD or higher, 1080p would be nice. How much does the Canon HV20 cost??

4. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

It's hard for me to find a decent camera under $300 these days, though, tbh, I haven't done too much research. I teach Broadcast/Video Production at a high school and the thing that upsets me most about lower end camcorders is that they're all doing away with the mic input. So I stopped looking below $500 sadly. I don't think a mic input is something you need though so you'll likely have better luck.

I bought my HV20 for $750 several months back, and sadly it looks like B&H discontinued it in favor of the current HV30 (just under $800).
    I dont know anything about that model.
    If you're into the used scene, I know theres a lot of people selling the HV20 relatively cheap. Check out the HV20.com forums.

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

But the Canon HV20 / HV30 isn't "prosumer" as such. For one thing, as lamented in other threads, it has no manual focus ring. It's also much more menu driven than many "true prosumer" cameras. Undoubtedly it's a nice (little) camera, but to my mind "prosumer" and "less than $1000" simply aren't synonymous.

By "professional," do you mean "acceptable to networks?" You'd be cutting it fine with an HV20 / HV30.

Standing by to be flamed.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I hate to say it, but you're not going to find "Higher than HD, RED Quality" for under $1,000. Welcome to the world of videography, check your wallet at the door. :p

7. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

That's true, and the focus scroll knob was a bit upsetting to me, but for what he asked for (HD under $1,000) I really don't know of a better option right now.

8. lindahl22 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I guess that I might have to change my criteria a bit. First of all I am a high school student... I like making professional style videos, and would want a camera that when I digitally zoom in on Final Cut, I don't lose quality when viewing on a big TV. What Camera am I looking for?? Max of $3,000

Sorry I have no flamethrower... I would want a manuel focus in addition to the auto..

So give me two choices guys the best $1,000ish camera and the best camera under $3,000

Thanks...

9. -DH macrumors 65816

hmmmm .... I want a car with the same room and luxury of a top of the line Cadilac ... better even. And I want it to be less than $1000.00.

Ain't gonna happen is it?

You REALLY need to stop and take a reality check. Unless you find some used gear, it ain't gonna happen no matter how much you want it to.

You want to maintain quality? Don't do "digital zooms" in post. Learn to shoot properly in the production stage.

-DH

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The best $1,000-ish HD camera would probably be the Canon HV30. It produces great results for a consumer-level camera and has a huge support base.

For the $3,000-ish price range, you get into Canon XA-H1 and Sony HDR-FX1 territory. Both of these are prosumer cameras.

Keep in mind that these are still HDV-based cameras that won't give you 2K+ resolution. Only professional cameras will do that. You don't need to do digital zooms if you shoot correctly in the first place. Zooming also affects other things in post, like depth of field.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well hands down the under $1k choice would be the HV30 or used HV20. The HV's big brother the XHA1 can be had for $3300 new and you can use the HV20/30 as a playback deck and as a second camera. I've owned both the HV20 and 30 and have the XHA1 on the way from B&H. The XHA1 is pretty customizable in terms of presets to match footage shot on the HV20/30.

12. comptr macrumors 65816

can I give a vote to the HF-100. Its got good reviews.

13. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The HV20 / HV30 does indeed have manual focus, it just doesn't have a focus ring around the lens like your "prosumer" or "professional" camera, or say the Panasonic GS400 of old. Instead, Canon have opted for a "focus wheel" near the lens. Once you get used to it, it's okay. But people who are used to a focus ring find it a bit weird. It's a bit of an oversight on Canon's part, perhaps, but hey, no-one (or is that no camcorder?) is perfect, and for the money either the HV20 or the HV30 is pretty darn good.

Actually, you'll find manual focus on camcorders half the price.

14. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Hey. I work at a tv station and you won't find a $3,000 camera that shoots 2k. Even solid 1080p is a stretch.

Digital zoom is a bad idea anyway. It looks bad. The DXG sucks. I saw some test footage and it sucks. A solid entry level HDV camera is the hv30, or the hf-100 if you like solid state. Mind you, you won't have the focus ring, but you'll have SOMETHING with the wheel. Manual focus is a biggie.

Let's put it this way. My workplace bought a $50,000 Panny HPX-3000 and it's 1080p. You aren't going to find 2k.

If you're in High School don't go broke on some crazy expensive camera. Google some cameras that have a manual focus ring and get one. Don't worry so much about technical specs, worry about your style and application. Family Vacations DON'T need to be 2K if you shoot it properly.

Also, if you are passionate in film and are planning to go to college for it, don't fork out big bucks on a camera, you're tuition pays for access to top notch gear that will smoke anything you buy.

So i'd stick with the HV30 or HF100 and get shooting. Save your pennies because FCS and Post equipment is expensive....

And don't digital zoom. It's a sure sign of an amateur to viewers.

15. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Isn't the upcoming Red Scarlet supposed to be around $3000? Of course that probably is just the cost of the body.

16. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Great advice. This is what it's all about.

17. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Too much of an unknown, I would say. It may be a great camera when it's ready, but I wouldn't count on the specs/price to be stable for a while...

- Martin

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, the Scarlet is supposed to be a 3k camera (2k actual recorded res) for $3k. It's fixed lens, but I'd be surprised if it was "shoot worthy" for less than $5k.

Lethal

19. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

True. I'm definitely interested, but I'm sure they'll take their sweet time to "perfect" it, and who knows how long that'll be.