Video Capture for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SkarletFantasy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. SkarletFantasy macrumors newbie

I know with Windows you can use various methods to record Wii gameplay, (Video Capture Cards, ect....) but how would you do that with a MacOS X?
    I need to know a cheap and easy way to record gameplay with my Mac.
    I've been looking on google for a while now, but couldn't find anything. Please help, thanks!

:apple:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Any video USB or Firewire video encoder can do what you want.

If by chance you happen to own a mini DV video camera it will have a video pass through feature and act as a Firewire video encoder and have very high quality.

3. SkarletFantasy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so this would connect the console to your computer, and you'd be able to record that way?

A video USB will work for Mac?
    What's a Firewire? :l
    I have a camera, and I think it has a pass through feature but I'm not sure so I'm going to test it later....

(Sorry for asking so many questions.... =_=)

4. fscarpa macrumors regular

I really don't know what kind of output Wii has, but if it has an S-VIDEO or RCA output, then yes: you can connect it to Mac and also record what you see on the screen. It comes with a software that captures audio/video and stores it as MPEG-4.
    It's useful to digitalise VHS either.

Hope it was helpful.

5. RRutter macrumors 6502

Pinnacle Capture for Mac is terrible, but it is the only way you can.. The noise has to be turned down directly on the Wii and cannot be turned down on the Mac. When you first plug it in, the noise is so loud when it transfers it, it makes crackily noises on speakers.

Now, Dazzle's products on Windows is a whole other story.

BTW:

The way you would record, is by getting a double sided AV chord, 3 AV splitters: Plug the 3 AV splitters into each of the AV inputs on the dazzle, and than plug in one side of the double sided AV chord and one side of the Wii cable, and the OTHER side of the double sided AV chord into your TV, and than the Dazzle into your USB 2.0 port (yes, Dazzles are USB and not firewire.)

6. SkarletFantasy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thank you :D

But I don't have a Windows...

7. RRutter macrumors 6502

I know I was just letting you know.. But yes, Pinnacle capture for mac is the only way you can record video game gameplay/television.

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

EyeTV Hybrid can do it too. It's basically a PVR and TV Tuner, but has connections for Composite and S-Video connections.

Not much use to me, though. I'd like to capture in HD from a PS3, but I cannot find any capable device at all. I even checked some cheap DV Cam corders at Future Shop, and none had any firewire connections on it, just what look like tiny cell phone charger USB cable connections (those mini USB connections, whatever they're called)

9. bindigok macrumors regular

Seriously? If your Mac doesn't have one, then don't worry about it (but I'm pretty sure only MacBooks don't have Firewire). If you have another Mac and have a larger-looking USB port, then check out Apple's site.

10. SkarletFantasy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks

This?:
    http://www.amazon.com/EyeTV-Hybrid-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237461020&sr=8-2

Well, I have a MacOS X, I just never heard of Firewire before.... (I've heard of it, but don't really know what it is or what it can do)

11. Khryz macrumors 6502a

12. SkarletFantasy thread starter macrumors newbie

And that'll work with mac?