Video Capturing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by iguess25, Mar 26, 2009.

1. iguess25 macrumors regular

I want to capture video from my live tv,dvd player and other stuff. What do I all need to capture it on my macbook pro?
    hardware/software?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, you need a capture device like an Elgato EyeTV 250. It plugs in USB and accepts composite, s-video and stereo RCA audio, in addition to also being an HDTV tuner.

Canopus also makes several Mac-compatible capture devices that use FireWire, but they're quite a bit more expensive.

3. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

You need Screenflick...

[​IMG]

Screenflick is a program for Mac OS X that features high performance screen capturing for smooth, fluid motion up to 60 fps. Screenflick can record any portion of the screen, simultaneously recording audio from internal or external microphones and the system audio.

An excellent utility for software screencasters and software trainers, Screenflick offers the ability to display keyboard commands, and highlights mouse clicks to better communicate which actions are being performed during screen recording.

Unlike other solutions, Screenflick allows you to record a movie once and compress it as many times as you want at different resolutions, qualities, and with or without audio, offering you the maximum amount of flexibility when choosing which presentation options to offer to movie viewers.

WHAT'S NEW
    Version 1.6.2:
    Screenflick can now record "captured" displays. Keynote, slideshows, and video games for example will "capture" the screen, which previously would prevent Screenflick from recording.
    To fit the screen selection to the boundaries of a window, Option-Click on the window when the screen selection view is displayed.
    The screen selection window now remembers its window position.
    Fixed a bug which sometimes would cause movies to not contain sound when multiple movies were exported simultaneously.
    Worked around a QuickTime bug related to file names.
    Fixed a stupidly obvious GUI bug outlining the text fields in the screen selection window.

REQUIREMENTS
    Mac OS X 10.4 or later, QuickTime 7.2 or later.

4. Changepoint macrumors member

Changepoint

The Hauppage HDPVR is probably the cheapest way to capture HD quality footage from your game console, tivo or dvd player, and I think eyetv for Mac supports it now....

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1212-Definition-Personal-Recorder/dp/B0018LX0DY

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If that isn't shameless advertising, I don't know what is. Secondly, the OP wants to capture from external video devices, not the screen. It helps to read the thread...

6. djkirsten macrumors regular

do you have a camcorder with a firewire output? if so, some of those cameras have video "passthrough" which means you can hook up the camera to your TV or PS3 and capture it in iMovie. Or if it doesn't have passthrough but does have firewire you can record to a tape and then capture it in iMovie.

hope that helps.

7. djkirsten macrumors regular

LOL at this guy :rolleyes:

8. iguess25 thread starter macrumors regular

capture

How can I capture/record a movie in DVD Quality thats playing on my mac?

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Just as a +1 to the elgato eyetv stuff. I have their base capture box (I forget the model) - It works really well. (Im capturing into a PowerBook G4/1.67 and directly into either iMovie HD '06 or Final Cut Express).