video card and motherboard question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SirJ, Sep 28, 2008.

1. SirJ macrumors member

hey everyone, we are in the process of building a new computer and my dad and I are hunting down parts.
    I suggested an NVIDIA XFX 9800 GT for the video card, dad picked out an EVGA 8800 GT. We are looking for something mainly for workstation use (not really gaming I guess I don't know if that qualifies as workstation) and we are arguing about which is better. Can anyone provide some insight?

Also, we have different motherboard/RAM combinations.
    I picked an EVGA nforce 780i SLI motherboard with NVIDIA 2x2 GB 800 MHz RAM (SLI compatible)
    Dad chose an ASUS P5Q deluxe motherboard with corsair dominator RAM (4 GB).
    I'm sorry I don't have links to these, I'm on our current main computer, my iPod touch. My question here is which motherboard is better, and is the corsair RAM which dad says runs at 1.06 ghz worth an extra $50 over the 800 MHz RAM I found?
    Any help you can give me is extremely appreciated. Everyone on these forums is always very intelligent and have always helped out. Thanks in advance to everyone.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

What 3D applications are you using that require the power of the 8800GT or 9800GT?

3. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

in the near future we will be running some autoCAD stuff, dad has some programs he uses for work and my brother has something for his engineering classes. Sorry I can't be more specific.
    On top of the 3D apps we also want to future proof the computer as much as possible.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The 8800 GT and the 9800 GT are basically the same thing I believe. I assume the 9800 GT runs slightly cooler and on less power, but I don't have time to look it up for you.

Unless your brother is doing some complicated work with his engineering software the 9800 GT should suit your needs.