Video card buying advice...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TK2K, Jan 24, 2009.

1. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

Hey,
    So I use my mac pro on the vista side of things for gaming... the 2600 just isn't cutting it.

So here's my question, realistically can we expect upgraded mac pro graphics for sale any time soon at a reasonable price? an 8800GT can be had for about $200 these days, if waiting a month for the Gainstown is only going to see a 9800GT for $300 then there's no real point in waiting, but if the 285gtx is on the horrizon...

What do you guys thing? the main problem is my monitor is a 1920x1200 and i like native resolution. Games are no crysis, but flatout 3, fallout 3, demigod, that sort of thing.

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Get one Mac edition 3870 and one regular cheap PC 3870 and use them in boot camp as a crossfire setup.

3. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

Gaming

I use the 8800GT for flight sims. I am very happy with it.
    For many games on the PC side, Mac video cards are not powerful enough.
    Personally I'd wait to see what is offered when the next Mac Pro comes out.

If the GTX 285 or HD 4870 X2 is available for the next generation Mac Pro, I'll trade-in my 2008 Mac Pro for the upgrade.

I'm not sure of this but I think more video cards will be available when Snow Leopard comes out.

4. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

Right, the intel chipset supports Crossfire, right? if that's the case that very well may be my best bet, seeing as it's just $200 for two if i flash

Any specific companies best for flashing? Where can I get the PCI-E Power adapter i'd need? I want something pretty quiet

any reports on how to flash?

5. MacVidCards Suspended

The Mac world needs more trailblazers and fewer Armchair Quarterbacks.

Here's your chance.

Nobody has ever publicly claimed to have successfully flashed a 3870.

Do it.

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I was not saying to flash a card, I said to buy a Mac version.

The other card used in crossfire can be a normal windows card.

I even heard with the cross fire cable connected that the mac card will transfer it's BIOS to the generic card so your fans won't spin out of control.

I'm not against flashing, just not heard of any success with the 3870 though.

7. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

well the thing is I have three monitors and need all of them for the mac side (well one's a TV but you get the idea)

Last question, the xfire bridge is usually included with the motherboard, obviously there is no xfire bridge included on the mac pro, where do I buy one?

8. MacVidCards Suspended

Crossfire connector ships with PC versions of 3870 as well as with the Mac/PC version.

You will need two, one from each card.

9. TK2K thread starter macrumors 6502

TK2K

Alright, I'll give this a try and let you guys know. Thanks

10. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Please do. I have an 8-core 2.8 refurb on the way with a 2600xt in it that I'm sure won't be enough down the road, but I had no choice since it was a refurb. Someday I'll want to upgrade.

What kind of results would you get with a single 3870 vs. linked 3870's?

11. windoze7 macrumors newbie

12. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Remember crossfire does not work in mac OS X only in Windows.

13. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know any resources on finding information about running a 4850/4870 card in addition to the stock Mac card? I've found threads where people have briefly said they did it, but not many more details than that.

I'm now considering a 4850/4870 just to run on the Windows side since my monitor has dual inputs on it I can just run a cable to the OSX card and another to the ATI card and just hit the 'source' button when I want to flip between OSX and Windows. I am just having a rough time finding info about power requirements, power cable hookups and any noise related issues due to fans for a configuration like this.

Any helpful information? Seems like this would be the most cost-effective scenario for me and most powerful if there won't be any problems. :D