Video card confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maximara, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Maximara macrumors member

Maximara

I have been looking at games on the Mac App store and ran into an annoying problem.

Some of the games use GameAgent to tell you if your mac will run the game...except it gives conflicting results.

Take this example for Batman: Arkham Asylum:

"Awesome! This game will definitely run on your iMac as long as you have 10.0 GB of available hard drive space.

[...]

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    1024 MB

vs

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT, or Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 128 MB of Video Memory"

But later it states

"Other Requirements

Note:
    Requires an Intel processor.
    The following graphics cards are not supported: ATI X1xxx series, NVIDIA 9400, NVIDIA 7xxx series and Intel GMA series.
    The following cards require you to have 4GB of System RAM: NVIDIA 320M, Intel HD 3000."

Ok, isn't the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M that you just said WILL run this game part of the NVIDIA 7xxx series that you now say is one of the "graphics cards are not supported" by this game?

With this kind of double talk how is anyone expected to know if a game will actually work? :(

2. jackufc macrumors newbie

never come across that problem myself. i installed Steam and all the games they have for Macs run without any problem and run well.
    i do use a different mouse for gaming though as the Magic Mouse gets a little 'confused' at times but it could also be me. the mouse i use is now called "my gaming mouse" and afterwards i use the Apple mouse again for everything.
    more games are being added all the time on Steam but most are mainly Valve games that run their engine which you can run on all max settings inc max AA and AF ^^

3. Maximara thread starter macrumors member

Maximara

That is NOT what I am talking about.

What I am talking about is that a app to determine if a program will run says that a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M will work while the program's descriptor says a NVIDIA 7xxx series card (which logically would include the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) is not supported

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The 7xx series is much newer and not the same as the 7xxx series.

5. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

The 7xxx series debuted in 2006 and has long been out of production. As T'hain said, these series, 7xx and 7xxx, are very different.