Video card failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c14nhl, Jun 9, 2011.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Hi all

My MacBook Pro's video card has failed after 4 years, I'm gutted.

However my main concern now is the syncing of my iOS devices. I've got an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4. I usually backed them up at least once a week.

I'm not overly worried about not getting my devices backed up. But I'm looking into the future, and my concern is updating to iOS 5 when it becomes available. I do have a working Windows Vista machine. What can I do to seamlessly change my sync computer from my MacBook Pro, to my Windows machine? I'm aware changing computers can wipe my devices. I want to avoid this at all costs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

I switched from a windows XP to my current mac no issues with my iOS devices.
    What you need to do is open iTunes in your vista computer and authorize your computer. It will be under the store tab. Then you are ready to go.:)
    Also a trip to the apple store with your mac is probably a good idea. They should be able to fix the video card for you.

3. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

I do that before plugging in with it download all my apps to the new machine?

I'm going to loss any media I have though won't I?

Thanks for your quick reply.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

What video card failed? you may be entitled to the extended warranty on the nVidia 8600gt, Apple would replace it for you at no charge.

5. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Yes that's the card I have in my MacBook Pro 17". I heard they may have been a problem with some of them. Think I'll contact Apple to see what they can do.

Cheers

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not some but all of them. If you have an Apple store nearby, they'll plug the computer in, diagnose it with the nVidia problem, order you a new logic board and send you on your merry way, and will then call you to tell you it has been fixed.

7. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Great thanks for the reply!

I'll look into booking myself in to get it checked.

Cheers everyone!