Video Card for Dual 1.8Ghz G5 Power Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Konn, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Konn macrumors newbie

Hey gang,

I'm try to replace my video card in my G5. However, I really don't know about compatibility with Macs, so hopefully you can help!

I found this card, and I think it will meet my needs. Will this work with a Dual 1.8 G5?

Also, does this mac has a 6pin connector to power the card, or will the card be self powering?

If you need any more info, please ask. Thank you in advance!

*edit* if this is better suited in the Mac Pro/Power Mac section, I apologize!

2. vga4life macrumors 6502

Won't work. The fastest video card you can get for that vintage of G5 powermac is an AGP nVidia 7800 GS flashed with Mac firmware. These are readily available from reputable vendors on eBay - http://search.ebay.com/7800-gs-agp-mac - but you're going to pay two or three hundred dollars for it. I had one in my 2005-vintage PowerMac before I sold it last year.

You're probably better off selling that Powermac and buying a new base-model Mac Mini and 4GB of 3rd-party RAM with the proceeds. The current Mini is a faster, more capable machine now than a maxed-out G5, unless you have some special use for the PCI slots.