Video Card for G5 dual 2GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pishtols, Nov 8, 2007.

1. pishtols macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I am considering buying an upgrade for my video card. I am starting to use Final Cut abit more and when i loaded leopard, my graphics seemed to jump (ever so slightly) I currently have a G5 Power Mac Dual 2GB with 3.5GB RAM. I use 2 monitors, the current Video Card is a:
    Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5200
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-1
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB
    Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0321
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 2060

any suggestions without blowing my budget too much. brands, type, what to look for etc.

Thanks

Paul

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, you definitely want a video card upgrade. You're probably going to want a Radeon 9800. There's one that comes with 256MB that should work out well for you. They usually sell for around $100 to $200 on eBay. OWC has them on sale, but they're $234.

I was going to sell one from one of my old machines that I'm parting out. Let me know what your price range is. I also have a PCI 9200 and 7000, and some RAM if you're interested in them as well.

3. pishtols thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i am actually in australia, ill keep it in mind, but probably find something closer to home. thanks for the advise and the offer, much appreciated.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Just FYI, the Radeon 9600 Pro is cheaper and provides excellent performance (it was the high-end standard for the first gen G5s)...