Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsanfilippo5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2005
Just bought a new macpro - I want to run 2 displays 1 with DVI and the other one is actually a standard VGA cable- looking for a cheap card that i can run in there to run bothe of these monitors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
What card do you currently have? I think there are DVI->VGA conversion dongles. You might look into getting one of those if you currently have two DVI outs.

The bad thing about running DVI and VGA right next to each other though is that VGA is noticeably more fuzzy. I used to run my setup like that but switched to dual DVI as quick as I could... actually now I have 3 monitors on DVI but you get the picture! :D

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
i second that. You can get a DVI->VGA converter, but the results aren't always the best. unless your VGA monitor is a really high quality monitor, you might be better off using the money you were planning on using for a cheap monitor and buying new new monitor instead. There are pretty decent monitors on sale for less than $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.