Video card issues for MacBook Pro issued in 2007

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gretchenator, May 22, 2009.

1. gretchenator macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm not new to Mac computers at all, but I've been having some video/graphics card issues that I have been experiencing. I have a MacBook Pro, which was purchased in August of 2007. It came equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. From what I understand, this would produce pretty decent graphics, right?

When running certain programs, I have issues with transparent objects. They appear obviously disfigured/broken. When I run a certain application, vSide, these issues are incredibly apparent. A friend who owns the same model laptop as I do experiences the same issues as I. While a friend of mine who owns a PC has the exact same card as I do, and she has no issues at all.

This is what I see (Mac):
    [​IMG]

This is what she sees (PC):
    [​IMG]

Now, granted she has the capability to adjust her settings in her graphics, you can still see where I'm coming from. She has zero transparency issues, fishnets appear just fine, and the background by far 10000 times better on her display than mine.

So, I looked into it and I found this online on the Apple Support site. From reading it, I figured that this was the answer to my issue. Apparently not. I just got my computer back today from the Apple stores after five days in the shop for repair. They replaced my entire logic board with a brand new one. I rushed home to test things out, and nothing was changed. At all.

Does anyone know any other reasoning for this? It makes little to no sense why after getting my logic board replaced, my graphics would remain the same. I do just want to state that I am not at all interested in purchasing a new video/graphics card. I do have AppleCare though, until the end of August. I just want to know if there is any other solution for my issue.

Thanks in advance!

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

did they run a video test in front of you at the genius bar from one of their external hard drives?

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Run the hardware test yourself.

Are your graphics on max settings?

Have your tried it in Windows? Windows has far better NVIDIA drivers.