Video Card Issues or Ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pandaboots, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

I have the first generation Intel iMac 20". It is just now 3 years old and have been noticing problems becoming more and more persistent. Here's the list:

1) Very sluggish spaces transformations
    2) Seem to get a lot of "beachballs/pinwheels" now on simple tasks (eg. launching safari)
    3) When playing wow, I get a lot of tearing, flashing, and bouncing of the screen. Also, I've had the computer completely freeze or the game itself will freeze.

I'm assuming that the video card is either going bad or getting too hot. For some reason I thinking it could be the ram too. Oddly enough, watching video (tv shows, movies, hulu, youtube) all is fine. I mainly see graphics issue with WoW.

Anyone else experience this before and maybe could pass along their knowledge. I will try a fresh reinstall as a last resort, but the way things are looking, I think my beautiful Mac might be on her last leg. :(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm going to say the video card for this graphical issues. I'd make a backup and try an Archive and Install. Your data won't be erased but always have a backup.

If it still persists it might be time for a new machine.