Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rangerjim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
I have a quicksilver 867 with a 32mb video card. Is it possible to upgrade the card to 64mb or higher? I've seen used ones on ebay and was wondering if it was worth trying to upgrade. My daughter uses the computer and the videos are a bit choppy on it now.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
About the best card for a QS is the Radeon9800Pro, which comes in 128 and 256mb versions. There are some of the 128's on ebay that are REAL mac cards, but the majority of them are/were windblows cards that have been flashed with a mac rom file.

The real mac cards are hella-expensive, but the flashed ones are way less.

FYI.....I paid $75 for a flashed 256mb card for my old QS many years ago, and it is STILL running just fine in a friends machine to this day. It made a world of difference in both machines :)

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
What is your daughter having trouble with? Is it streaming video from the web or playing video from local drives (or both)? The Radeon 9800 is probably the best bang for the buck for video cards for that machine, but you might get more of a boost from a CPU upgrade.

An OEM dual 1GHz module would make a dramatic difference in that machine. So would a single 1.6GHz aftermarket upgrade. I mention these because you can often find them in the same price range as a video card.

For streaming YouTube, has she tried MacTubes (and setting it to use QuickTime instead of Flash)?

Tell us more about what she is having trouble with. Tell us more about the hardware and software. Tell what you're willing to spend. Then we can give you some real options.

Rangerjim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
she's having trouble with flash and streaming video. haven't tried video from the hard drive yet. Not looking to spend too much on it, I paid $75 (wife's already mad about that) for it with a cinema display, pro speakers, mouse, and wired keyboard. It's running 10.4.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Try MacTubes for YouTube video. In preferences, set player to QuickTime.

For other sites, maybe get a download add-on for her browser and play the video from HD with QuickTime/Perian or VLC.

Flash is really tough on PowerPCs and a video card upgrade will not help very much in this case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.