video card options for mac pro 2008 version?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by j2048b, Jun 28, 2009.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I think my video card is taking a dump on me and here is why:

I get a blue screen every once in a while, even when i tried to boot off the dvd of osx for troubleshooting tests.

both of my screens will turn blue and the mouse will freeze a bit,

BUT if i am typing something it just continues to show up as though i am looking at the screen.

So i have come to the conclusion it is my video card, are there any tests i can run to solidify this?

it is a
    ATI RADEON HD 2600,

mayb it could be something else?

(i have tried to reset the PRAM, and everything like that and a no go, apple said it is a hardware issue and not a software issue, i need to take it to a service center but before i do, i want to run as many tests as possible)

any suggestions towards tests i could run, and other compatible video cards?

thanks

2. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

so no options whatso ever i guess? thats cool!

bump for some assistance!!

thanks

3. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

WEll there's the 8800GT which is nice, and the 4870, the latter is a better performer but also is more expensive and louder

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Your options are 8800 GT - not a great performer for the money - Radeon 4870, a better performer but also expensive, or a GTX 285 - currently the performance crown, but very expensive indeed. Alternatively, you could flash a PC version of one of these cards, or buy one off of somebody else, and probably save a bit of money, but they come with their own downsides and aren't -approved (for example the PC 4870s don't have a mini Display Port and don't have dual-link DVI working on both ports).

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

another thing to note is if you need a better GPU for windows only, any PC version will work in a mac pro under boot camp, just so you know all your options

6. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

3870 is also an option - less expensive than the 4870 and performs better than the 8800 (I think). Here's a summary from what I know:

ATI 3870 - $220 @ owc
    NVIDIA 8800GT - $280 at bhphoto
    ATI 4870 - $350 @ apple
    NVIDIA GTX 285 - $450 @ apple

You might be able to find the 4870 or 285 for a little less at provantage or somewhere else if you shop around - those are just the retail prices for those two cards. I think 3870 is probably the best bang for your buck if you don't want to spend a lot on a replacement card. 4870 is probably the fastest "stable" card right now. 285 has the most potential.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow thanks everyone!!

so does it sound like a video card problem with what i explain happens ?

i hope that is all it is, this computer is the replacement for the last one with a bad mb,

that would be 2 bad ones within about 1 year's time.

no great, even for apple!:apple: