Video Card options

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fkntotalkaos, Jun 18, 2010.

1. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

What are my options for mac video cards PCI-e?

2. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Use search. It was million times on this forum.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First of all, what Mac Pro do you have? What is your usage and budget? What do you currently have? Are you ready to flash a PC card?

Your post is currently meaningless, it has no info what we need to help you

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

This topic has been beaten to death; you should search next time.

Graphics card availability really depends on which Mac Pro you have.

Older Mac Pros (2006-07) use EFI-32 ROMs and are thus only compatible with a handful of upgrade cards. I believe the Radeon HD 4870 (Mac version, of course) is the fastest card you can use with those machines.

Newer Mac Pros (2008-09) have EFI-64 ROMs and are a little bit more flexible in graphics cards options. The fastest compatible card for these machines would be EVGA's GeForce GTX 285 Mac Edition. There could be perhaps more options down the line, but that's impossible to predict.

But the biggest thing to keep in mind is that Macs don't (and probably never will) have the vast selection of graphics options available to Windows users. Some of us have successfully flashed (or otherwise tricked through driver injection hacks) PC cards to work in Mac OS, though your results may vary.

5. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

obviously is was searched several times, and technology changes, and methods of Bios flashing change daily...It may make a nice sticky

6. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Hellhammer thanks for the reply. I was told to use Apple NVIDIA GT120... i need a low wattage card for the application I need. using a http://www.villagetronic.com/vidock2/index.html

"
    Village Tronic officially does not support Mac’s under the ViDock product line. Unofficially, you can use the ViDock 2 Box unit and purchase the Apple NVIDIA GT120 card and it should work just fine. The ViDock 2 units that come with video cards will not work with your MBP, because they are PC only cards and not formatted to work with the MBP.

Thank"

I am confused with the EFI stuff