Video card or software?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by trainguy77, Jul 30, 2008.

1. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I am having some problems with my computer randomly both my monitors will lose signal and shut off. Putting my computer to sleep then out again fixes this. Would this be my video card?

I also get random lines across my screen when the card warms up. I know thats the card.

I get random freezes every so often.

Would the first and third problems be the video card?

O and its a notorious x1900

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Sounds almost certainly like video card failure.

3. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

Thought so. Which is a better card in most peoples opinions the 8800gt or one of the ATI cards?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is arguable, and has created a few threads. The ATI HD 3870 seems to be a good all-rounder. It performs better at Core Image than the 8800, according to BareFeats. The 8800 has a slight advantage in Windows gaming also on BareFeats.
    Other reviews available, IIRC.

Hope this helps. :)

5. trainguy77 thread starter macrumors 68040

O and my graphics card now only supports one monitor at a time through DVI, So one DVI one VGA. :cool:

I like the numbers on the 3870 how is it sound wise compared to the fan on the x1900?

The price between a 3870 and the 8800 would be about the same for me here. Well the 8800 would be a little cheaper(flashing one)

Do you guys think the 8800s drivers will be updated to give it better performance?

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

This has been discussed elsewhere on the forum. From what I've gathered, the HD 3870 isn't that noisy, but louder than the X1900.

Hard to say. Apple develops the OS X drivers for the NVIDIA 8800. As far as future updates, I don't know. :eek:

ATI develops their own drivers, and does a decent job. :)