Video Card Pricing History

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Michael73, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I admit that I've only followed the Mac stuff since my switch to a MP back in Sept '06.

I've been eagerly waiting for the MP update only for the video card upgrade possibilities but I just had a thought and wanted some feedback...

What does everyone think will happen price-wise with the Quadro FX4500?

Until the revision it was BTO extra of $1,650 (?) which I can't justify. So, I was thinking about the ATI card but it was only technology so I waited. Now we've got the 8800 which I'm thinking about but here's the other 2 questions...

Given the choice would you choose the Quadro or 8800?

If you'd choose the Quadro, do you think the price would ever come down to "reasonable" levels like $400ish?

2. timestamp macrumors 6502

The Quadro is not a consumer level card. It will never come down to consumer pricing. It is meant for very different applications. If you don't know why you would need it, you don't need it. Get the 8800GT.

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Never.

It's a high-end specialized card for CAD, animation, and scientific visualization.

There are some good references online on the differences in design optimization between gaming cards and CAD cards which you can read up on.

It's a moot point anyway. The Quadro never was available as an after-purchase/after-market option for the Mac Pro.

4. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I agree with the other posts. The Quadro is for very specialized tasks, and as a result it may under-perform cheaper cards during more common tasks.

Read this benchmark / review for more info:

http://www.barefeats.com/york2.html