Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultimeter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
I have a 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 with Radeon x1900. I finally figured out how to make a bootable DVD of the Windows 7 64bit installation dvd and ran bootcamp. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 and it says there are not bootcamp files available. I ran the program thinking I'd use my installation disks anyway. Well, Windows appears to load fine but when I get to the final setup and reboots of Windows I get several pixelated "pink ribbons" running vertically on the screen. It just gets worse from there but the installer continues to run and I can pretty much make out what its saying. Eventually I get a BSOD and the Mac reboots itself. I've tried safe mode, tried command prompt but eventually it always comes back to a screen that says there was a problem and I need to reinstall Windows. But I can never get past that screen that's garbled pretty much anyway. I'm curious if there is a way around this or if there is a conflict with the x1900 video card. If anyone knows I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Try running a benchmark with the card in OS X and see if it is OK. X1900 is unique in that the BIOS for running Windows resides in the 1,1 boot firmware. (It can't run in bootcamp in later Macs)

Sounds like card may just be bad, or maybe you need to get drivers in. Try getting to a safe boot into windows.

Ultimeter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Try running a benchmark with the card in OS X and see if it is OK. X1900 is unique in that the BIOS for running Windows resides in the 1,1 boot firmware. (It can't run in bootcamp in later Macs)

Sounds like card may just be bad, or maybe you need to get drivers in. Try getting to a safe boot into windows.

Thanks for your reply. I'm somewhat new to Mac so forgive my ignorance. I have not had any problems with the video in OS X 10.6.8 that I'm aware of. Can you direct me to something that will allow me to test it, or Benchmark as you suggest? I can't get Windows to load (even in Safe Mode) long enough to try to install drivers for it. I tried a Nvidia GT120 GeForce but could not get that to work even in Snow Leopard. At 63 I thought I'd enjoy the challenge of learning a new OS (Apple's) but perhaps I've bitten off a bit more than I should. However, I don't like to give in so thanks again for any leadership you can provide.

Ultimeter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
I appreciate the reply but it says it needs 10.7 minimum. I'm running 10.6.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.