Video card problems on 2010 Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by VideoFreek, Sep 9, 2010.

1. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Hey Guys;

Having just ordered a new 2010 MP, I was disturbed to read this post by Lloyd Chambers over at diglloyd. I've searched this forum and have not found too many complaints about the problems Lloyd is describing; most often such problems are dismissed as "cable issues." Is anyone with a 5770 or 5870 seeing the "flakiness" that Lloyd describes?

2. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Sounds like something a firmware fix or driver update could fix I think, if it turns out to be widespread (which it doesn't seem like it is).

3. BigAl55 macrumors newbie

BigAl55

Same thing. My two NEC monitors each attached to a 5770 card wouldn't wake from sleep earlier today. Had to re-boot. First time this has happened in the last month...

4. Schismz macrumors regular

Mac Pro, dodeca-core, dual 24" cinema displays using mini displayport on 5870, upgrading both to the 27" whenever they release 'em, no problems at all. Took delivery on, lessee, Aug 24.

Know 3 people with 2010 Mac Pros, also no problems, but, and here's the but... all are using dual hex's with 24" cinema displays.

There may be some kinda glitch with the radeon and non-Apple displays, and mix and matching displayport and dual-link DVI. Dunno. The Radeon is not cutting-edge new, but Apple has given it the typical Apple treatment, removed every port -- including the HDMI-out it comes with, why for God's sake? They wedged it into the mini, do they not think anybody may be using the Pro for video and wanna output to a big TV? The card HAS that port and they chuck it??? WTF??? -- and I'm sure tested it by plugging in Cinema Displays and nothing else.

Short summary: no problems here so far <knock on metal>.

Lloyd is also doing his thing, ripping out his CPU, installing dual 3.33GHz one's from a third-party and probably 25 other crazy things, so I'd consider it a miracle that his machines work as often as they do. In his case, "Wahhhhh, it's broken!" leads to: "well, you broke it!" But I'm somehow guessing it's gonna wind up being more prelevant than that and affect anything that's not a recent Cinema Display (in other words, they did a half-assed job of testing out possible monitor permutations perhaps).

Everything that Apple claims should work, well, they're ultimately responsible for and if a firmware update doesn't fix it, they're unfortunately gonna be responsible for sending out new cards. Also on the positive side, if there is a problem, and you're having the same problem Lloyd is having, that's really good, because lately barefeats has become kinda ehhh and seemingly I don't know what, semi-retired, switched his meds, whatever; but Lloyd is gaining a bigger audience share and you can be pretty sure he's gonna rant and rave and test and storm around and generally make a lot of noise about it, until the issue gets resolved in some way.

Having said that, one more variable/thing to try: it's a workstation, I don't ever let it sleep, I let the displays sleep, but not the computer itself, I don't need to slam shut the lid and throw it into my backpack. Do any of the symptoms with the screens not coming back to life happen at any time other than the computer waking from sleep?

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I have 3 Dell U2410s hooked up to my 5870, and I have not experienced this issue running either SL or Boot Camp.

I do have one issue, though, that only occurs on the Boot Camp side. Whenever I visit a site with an embedded video and play the video and/or "back" away from this page that has the video to the prior page, I get a glitch / flicker that always affects the same 2 monitors (the ones connected with the dual DVI and 1 of the MDP ones). This doesn't happen on the Mac side, so I downloaded and installed the latest ATI driver on the Boot Camp side, and the problem still persists.

6. ahavriluk macrumors member

I had similar problems with my MacBook Pro display not waking up from sleep. I have figures out that I could have that issue if I had my bluetooth mouse on before I closed the laptop. So, I started to turn the mouse off before closing. Seems that helped. Looks like they fixed something with the next OS update, since I keep my mouse on all the time now and don't have that issue anymore.

7. advres Guest

advres

2.8 quad, 5770, Dell U2711 = problem free for me.

8. jedijoe macrumors 6502

jedijoe

5870 with 30-inch apple display connected via DVI port no problems.

9. MarsProductions macrumors newbie

We bought 3 Mac Pro’s 2.4 GHz with the ATI Radeon HD 5870. Also bought 6 NEC MultiSync PA241W displays and connected all of them with a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable – each setup uses dual-display. We have exactly the same trouble which Lloyd Chambers is describing. We really need a fix for this as soon as possible. A huge nightmare for studio shooting :eek:

10. ahavriluk macrumors member

Looks like the problem is with dual display configurations.

11. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Might be, I'm using an older Samsung 24 in with a MP 3.2GHz quad + HD 5870 connected as DVI to DVI. No problems at all.

12. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

My 2.8 quad with 5770 has had only one issue so far, but I think it was a loose cable. One day, after rearranging my desk, the screen kept cycling a red-green-blue pattern. I turned the monitor off, re-connected the cable at both ends, and the problem disappeared. I don't know if that was the video card's fault or not, but the issue has yet to repeat itself.

13. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

No problems here yet with a 5870 and single Dell 3007 on the DVI.

14. darlenea macrumors member

Same problem as Llyod

New NEc 27 inch monitor hooked via dual link dv1 - one time has gone black and occasionally whole screen gets fuzzy - like an old time tv.

My second moniter on a miniport addapter to dvi cable is not recognized and has never connected with the computer.

I need to try different cables - but I doubt that is the problem. Darlenea
    Mac pro hex core 3.33, 24 gb ram, 5870 video card

15. MarsProductions macrumors newbie

This solution does not help for the sleep issue I am having with 3 workstations. Once I put the Mac Pro (mid 2010) to sleep I have no way to wake up the screens anymore. The buttons on display wont react either (except if I unplug the display cable).

I have also noticed that once I loose the signal (sleep mode) and get it back to work (power down the machine/unplug the display cable several times) the desktop picture often resets to the default desktop picture on the 2nd display. The desktop picture can not be changed – but logging out and back in cures the issue and sets back original selected desktop.

Has anyone else experienced this sleep problem with the new NEC PA-series screens?
    Which brand of cables are you using?

16. darlenea macrumors member

I am using the Nec 27' PA271w - I love the monitor. It goes to sleep but it is just the monitor for me - so Lloyd work around works well - I have the bottom left corner set up at a hot corner and soon as the screen loses the signal I bring it down to that corner - I am always just guessing but I pull the mouse down and to the left and then click and it wakes up immediately. It has already blacked out twice this morning for me but within a couple seconds was up and going again? Darlene

17. MarsProductions macrumors newbie

What I meant is putting the Computer (Mac Pro) to sleep and not being able to wake up the displays anymore.

18. ahavriluk macrumors member

19. freedom42 macrumors newbie

To be honest I have simply purchased ACDs to eliminate compatibility issues in the past. I had this same issue with an older Mac Pro video card and a third party display.

Should this happen? No. But my experience is that Apple doesn't support operation with arbitrary displays.

20. VideoFreek thread starter macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Darlene, have you tried hooking up the PA271W via Displayport? I'm curious because I have ordered a configuration very similar to yours--a hexacore with a 5770 card hooked up to a PA271W--and I plan to use the DP connection.

21. darlenea macrumors member

I have not tried that yet, but will this next week. I took an on line retouching class today and my screen blacked out 5 times durning the 2 hours. But using Lloyd's work around my screen was up with one to two seconds every time.

I will post when I try the miniport. Darlene

22. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Got a base quad at work. If my displays go to sleep and are then woken up, they will sometimes come back as pure static. Unplugging and replugging in the cable fixes.

All non-Apple displays. We have had this same issue with the Mini's as well, on mini-DVI, mini-DP and HDMI. Is Apple trying to get us to buy their displays?

23. Schismz macrumors regular

Possibly, since there are no issues I'm aware of using only Cinema Displays :eek: But far more likely, they just didn't really bother to test it much and kicked the Mac Pro out the door with a very very late update, because the high-end iMacs were catching the old one and they needed to get the 6 core chips out there.

I again have no issues at all with Apple's displays, or know anybody else having problems with an Apple Display, so it does seem to affect only 3rd party displays so far.

24. VideoFreek thread starter macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

Jeez, Darlene, that's pretty bad--now you're scaring me! Frankly, having the display black out while you are working is totally unacceptable. Have you contacted Apple about this?

Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is with NEC monitors? It seems to be a common element among all people who've reported problems in this thread, and I suspect that the monitors Lloyd mentioned in his post are also NECs, since he seems to be quite fond of them. There is for sure not enough evidence at this point to be certain, but this one bears watching.