Video card question for the experts

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Apr 20, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

The GeForce 6200 card is now working in my G4 Cube, my question here is will this card work as is in a dual 1.8 powermac, or will it need modification?

2. mikiotty macrumors 6502

mikiotty

Dual 1.8... G5? :D

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It should work fine in your G5. Take the tape off so that it will run at 8x.

If it was flashed with "Cube rom"(which if I remember right underclocks the card) you may want to reflash it with standard 6200 Mac ROM. The G5 should have no thermal issues, which-as I understand it-was why it was underclocked for the Cube.

4. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

May I ask what your plans for the G5 are? The 6200 is a monster for the cube but there are better options out there for G5 cards. I would recommend looking for a flashed FireGL X3 on eBay, which can be found for about $60 or $70. They benchmark approximately twice as high as the 6200 and are quiet and cool.

5. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

No real plans or need at all, I'm just tinkering-passing the time with the equipment I have available.
    One tends to do a lot of that as one approaches 80.
    You're right about the 6200 in the Cube, and I think it should probably stay there, at least for the foreseeable future.
    The dual 1.8 will stay as is with its 9800 GT, doing duty as my backup system, while my G5 quad is my main day to day PPC system.

6. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

I know what you mean. I rearrange my hardware every now and then just because it's relaxing and fun :).

Totally forgot you had the quad! I was thinking the dual 1.8 was your main desktop for some reason.

7. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Yes my quad, just ordered a new video card for this beauty, it's a Quadro 512mb FX 4500.
    Just hardly can't wait to get it installed and working.

8. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

My new G5 Quad video card arrived today,it's a Quadro FX-4500 and "whoa!" what a difference from the stock GeForce 6600.
    This thing is a real monster.

Attached Files: