Video Card Question (G4 and a G5)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by THRobinson, Jul 18, 2010.

1. THRobinson macrumors member

THRobinson

I have a G4 PowerPC MDD 1.25Ghz mac, and recently upgraded to a used G5 PowerPC 2Ghz DP (M9032LL/A).

The older G4, I had installed a 9800Pro 128MB video card, so... was going to swap cards with the G5 and its 9600Pro 64MB card.

Sadly, despite having done hundreds of PC upgrades over the years, I somehow managed to kill the 9800Pro, just getting a checker board pattern on the screen where every other square is gibberish. So, looks like I now have to buy a new card... debating the 9800Pro 256MB or the nVidia 7800GS 256MB.

Anyway... if anyone has any comments on how to fix the 9800Pro I am all ears.

Aside from that... I went to shove the 9600Pro into the G4 and nothing. Won't even try to turn on at all. Works fine back in the G5 though. Both AGP, and I see many listings for the 9800Pro guranteed to work in the G5 even though the size of the cards connector is different... just confused why the 9600 fails to work on the G4.

Also worried I'll buy a 9600 for the G4 and have the same issue. I want to sell the G4 so needs a card if the 9600 I have fails to work. :S

Anyone know why it fails to work? anything I need to look for on eBay? I understand there is the AGP 2x, 4x and 8x... is that the reason? 8x in a 2x slot?

2. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

3. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

Hmm... not sure if I would try that or not... the 9600 I have in the G5 I think has that small piece with the 3 pins off on its own. In the G5 it connects into the slot fully but in the G4 I think it doesn't plug into anything at all, which might be the issue or the 3 pins may be used for power or something I'm not sure. In any case, I have no idea which pins 3 and 11 are on that card since visually differs from the example. :confused:

http://www.sunsetmac.com/images/6613230.gif

There is the card I have... its those 3 pins off on their own, hard to see inside the mac when installing but I think those are on their own. But again, not sure if used or for something not needed like temperature monitoring or something like that.

4. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

The 3 and 11 pins are on the main connector.
    The extra one by itself is for powering an ADC monitor.

Scroll down on the Mac Elite page (the link in my previous post) for pictures of how to tape the pins. This is needed when installing any 8X AGP video card in a Gigabit or later G4. If it is not done, the Mac will act completely dead until the card is removed.
    I have done this a few times. It's not a big deal.

5. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

Ah, I figured those 3 pins would be something useless like that.

Well, in that case I'll nab me a new card for the G5 first before I play with the 9600Pro.

I know PC's pretty well, MAC pretty good but never really followed reviews and such on hardware. Any recommendations towards card to buy? Was looking at the ATI 9800Pro and the nVidia 7800GS, 256MB... on a PC I'd grab an nVidia no questions due to performance and quality of drivers (always had bad luck with ATI on a PC) but on a MAC. ATI seems more common.... looking on eBay in the $100-$150 range.

Basically used for Adobe CS4 for Illustrator/Photoshop/InDesign/Dreamweaver/Flash. No video editing or 3D work... so next question would be, on my system would a 256MB card be over kill? Games and such will be played on my PC so, strictly a system for Adobe products and design work.

:confused:

6. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

I don't know which card to suggest.
    If it helps, Radeon cards are flashable in a Mac, but Geforce cards have to be flashed under Windows.

7. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

I like the Geforce cards because of gaming and BFG brand has a great warranty... but sadly, upgraded my PC as well 6 months ago so no longer have an AGP slot.

Annoyingly, the old parts I gave to my sisters kids for a computer, and the video card was an AGP 7800GS which would have been flashable. :)

I'll likely just play it safe with a 9800Pro ... just not sure how well it runs on a MAC to know if any benefits to going 256MB vs 128MB for design work. Gaming I could see on a PC, or animation, video editing etc... just not sure how the resources work on a MAC when comes to that stuff.

8. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

If it helps, I have been using a Radeon 9800XT (third picture down on this page) in my G4 Digital Audio for almost 3 years (with an upgraded cooler) and it has been rock solid.
    They run (even) hotter in MDDs though, so upgrading the card's fan would be a must. Also the stock fan on a 9800XT is very loud.

9. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

The 9800Pro I had ran great in the G4 as well, I also upgraded the fan and heatsink on it, the ATI one died in under a year.

"IF" the 9600 from my G5 works in the MDD... I'll be looking to buy a card for the G5 though. Used G5 so, still uses the AGP slot. Just trying to figure out which card to get and if 256MB would be over kill since not gaming with it.

10. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

Just wanted to say, I took the 9600Pro out of my G5, and literally took 5 minutes and the scotch tape mod worked just fine covering pins 3 & 11.

MAC is installing updates right now after a full format/install of 10.4.

Thanks for the link!