Video Card question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 3runjosh, Dec 31, 2008.

1. 3runjosh macrumors member

Will the current 2008 model Mac Pros be able to use upcoming graphics cards or will the 2009 mac pro only support the newer cards yet to come out?

I am trying to wait for the newer macs but it is hard for me stuck on a PC and regretting every day I go without a mac. If I will be able to get newer unreleased cards for the current Mac Pro I think I will just go ahead and purchase the current model.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Technically they should be compatible and hopefully Apple will have learnt from the 8800GT issues.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I actually doubt that they will be. They'll all have dual Mini DisplayPort out, so Apple will figure out some way that they're not compatible and force people to upgrade.

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

DisplayPort still isn't a largely use standard. very few vendors ship even regular DisplayPort cards, much less Apple's own essentially proprietary "mini" standard. I don't really care what they do, as the 2408WFP has everything and is a better screen for better money than any of the ACD's.

5. G.T. macrumors 6502a

It depends, don't apple have to make the cards compatible. Apart from that the current ones would support the cards. Are you wanting to play games? If you do light gaming then what ever the mac pro comes with thats fine. But if you want to be a serious gamer I would use a PC. I have a PC for gaming and I use macs for everything else.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I hope so. The 8800GT is getting rather long in the tooth.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Though I would hope Apple won't go that far and totally rip their existing customers, I'm expecting it. :rolleyes: Solutions to be in the form of adapters, which has the side effect of padding their profits noticeably. :p
    I haven't noticed much available that support DisplayPort either, and fewer graphics cards than monitors IIRC. :(

I've been looking hard at the HP L2475W, and will likely order one in the next two weeks or so. The only handy item it's missing are the card reader slots. :p

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's more likely the graphics cards will have 3 ports in either 2xD-DVI & 1xDisplayPort or 1xD-DVI & 2xDisplayPort. With an adapter for DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort if that is the route Apple want to go. Having custom hardware made when there are perfectly viable off the shelf options (especially with the Quadro) doesn't make sense.

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Well most companies aren't Apple and pander to the audience rather than dictate ;). Expect all the new mid-high end displays at CES to support DisplayPort and I think you can get most of the mid-high end newer GPUs with DisplayPort from at least one vendor.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But not Mini...

11. m1stake macrumors 68000

Would you mind linking me to it? I can't find it on the HP website. If you haven't checked out the 2408, you should. It looks like a great screen, I'll definitely be getting one to replace my PC monitor for my next build. On the Apple side, we'll see what happens with the Mac Pro and mini DP.

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3648442.html

74 page thread on [H]ard|Forum

good review on it

It has a better panel than the Dell (S-IPS vs S-PVA) which is why it gets attention.

13. m1stake macrumors 68000

Damn, it's $175 cheaper and has all the same imputs, but I really like the dell's stand. No. No. No.

Another thing, I'm waiting until February or so for my build in order to grab whatever refreshed cards ATI and Nvidia bring out. I don't expect anything huge, but perhaps display port will become a lot more prevalent.

14. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'm hoping ATI gives us at least the 4870 (for 2006 Mac Pros).

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

Fortunately, this is the case. :D
    This is what I've been expecting. With an eye for lifespan port wise, I've been looking for monitors with at least DVI-D and DisplayPort (I expect this to be the next major standard adopted).

It came down to the Dell 2408WFP and the HP L2475W. I like what I've read on the HP, but haven't been able to find one in person to see for myself. I'll just have to buy on spec as usual. ;)
    I have. In comparing the two, I like the HP better. H-IPS panel in the HP vs. S-PVA panel in the Dell doesn't hurt either. :p
    Thanks for posting the links. :) Saved me some time. :D

In my search for information, what I found indicated an H-IPS panel for the HP. I'll look at the review when it's operational again (User Exceeded Bandwidth Limit message), but do you have other sources that indicate panel tech?
    I don't expect anything really in the way of new GPU tech, and I've already begun aquiring components for my build. I already ordered a graphics card (HD 4870 w/ 1GB for $240USD shipped, not including rebate) among other things, but if something wonderful comes out of CES, I may send the 4870 back. ;)

I'll have to wait for the rest of the necessary components, since none of the DP parts are available yet. :rolleyes:

Let's go Intel, move em' out! :D :p

16. m1stake macrumors 68000

I googled the Dell I was looking at, it seems like only Dell.com has it. Review wise people had nothing but good things to say about it. As far as the panel goes, I don't need it to be color accurate (As long as red looks red I'm happy). What does a superior panel mean to me with that in mind? Of course, with superior specs and a lower price, it's extremely hard to argue with.

Both companies release something new (or "refreshed") every 6 months or so, in the summer, and January-February. It looks like they're both putting out refreshes with NEW hardware coming in Q4 2009, for ATI anyway.

17. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Apple may make the 2009 Mac Pro video cards work for older Mac Pro's they done it in the past, APPLE WILL NOT FORCE ANYONE TO BUY A NEW COMPUTER that is a stupid business move and it will not happen, My advice don't listen to anyone here because it's just pure speculation and everyone is just GUESSING but if any user here works for Apple on the development team for the Mac Pro then I'll listen, but must people here are going by what they read, just buy Mac Pro or wait if you wish but if you need one now BUY IT, My friends got there's Mac Pro's for christmas and that brings up other point sense Apple discontinued the 23-inch ACD and the 24 inch LED only uses Display-Port so my friend can't purchase that, So that leaves 20 inch which is way to small or 30 inch which to my friends it's too expensive so either Apple Makes Adapters or make 2009 Video cards with display-port capadable on late Mac Pro, My advice i'll just get the Mac Pro because there always going to be faster and better Mac Pro's down the road by this time next year Sandy Bridge Mac Pro's will talk of these forums and Nehalem Mac Pro's will be OLD NEWS, You can't stop technology, So why not start enjoying a Mac Pro now and wait to see what happens.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I don't need absolute color accuracy either, but I get massive headaches with a poor quality display, as I have a bad habit of looking at them for 12+ hours daily. I never thought it actually made a difference until I got my hands on a Nanao. (Still have one of their CRT's, but it weighs a ton, and eats the entire desk space). Just a massive beast. :p

With the Dell becoming less available, I would think the price would go up a little. Last I looked, it was priced slightly less than the HP as it was just out, but I'll look again. I really do like the built in card reader. ;)

Either way, both rated well. Unfortunately, I've not been able to actually look at them. Only the HP 2408H (?) at a local Office Depot. It's not bad, but I figured I can do better without breaking the bank. ;)

I doubt I'll be sending it back, but... :D :p

It's probably more than I need, but I'd rather have a little more than needed now, as I may not need to upgrade any time soon. I don't play games. Too addictive. :eek: :p

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I very much doubt the almighty Apple would adopt the fragile yet compact Mini DisplayPort for it's professional desktop line, there's just no advantages to using this on a desktop/workstation system. I'm guessing many professional users will be tiring out their hair, cause they'll have to invest in a $$$ box just to convert the signals.

I also believe there will be many third parties, bring their third-party graphics card for the Mac. Before I can understand why many would avoid the platform.. but recently Mac's have been gaining much ground.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

We'll see adapters, and Apple may actually try to use the Mini DisplayPort here too. They want money, and could care less if a 3rd party has a problem with it, or if their new/existing customers would have to cough up additional $$$, as it lines Apple's coffers.

Though I think this would be a bad idea, I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;)
    Not sure on this one, as the firmware is different, not just the drivers. Apple isn't helpful in this regard as I understand it. (They don't like to share IP, and work with 3rd party developers).

If I had to guess, it would cut into their profits, and they wouldn't have control.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You know the Mini DisplayPort technology doesn't belong to Apple right? So Apple can only protect it's firmware...

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Not exactly.

DisplayPort is an open standard, but the connector used in the Mini DisplayPort is Apple's IP. Granted, they have expressed a willingness to open it (accepting developer applications last I saw).

I just don't see many other manufacturers being convinced to adopt it though. Perhaps in situations where board real estate is at an extreme premium, but the DisplayPort's physical connector isn't that large. I doubt it will be that hard to implement on portable hardware, and certainly not on desktop products. Then take into consideration that the components are already available in the supply chain (this is important, as lead times are typically 13 weeks if nothing goes wrong). Some monitor and graphics manufacturers are already using the DisplayPort standard, and more will be released.

It just doesn't make sense to switch the connector in mid-stream. It would require new boards (different trace layout), and re-tooling the assembly lines. It just doesn't make sense financially.

23. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

At the danger of straying back on topic, what cards are most likely in the next Mac Pro? Base/high/Pro

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'll take a stab in the dark here...

Radeon 4850
    GTX 260 (I need to know the power draw, though...)
    Quadro 5800 (FOUR GIGS of dedicated video RAM!)

25. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

25W Idle, 180W full draw I believe.