Video card questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Aameiel, May 25, 2012.

1. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

Hey guys i have a Mac G4 tower 933 with 1.5 gigs of ram and i was wondering ..
    what is the absolute best video card that u can put in these, Atm i have a bfg Geforce 6800 gt 256mb would it be possible to find one better then that ?

Thanks for viewing my thread

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

There are a few cards out there that were originally for the PowerMac G5, like the 7800GS, that can be modded to work in PowerMac G4's. From my understanding, the 7800GS is among the best you can do for the G4's. Also, don't bother buying a card that was originally for the G4 because you won't see any significant gains. This is because no G4 graphics card was compatible with Core Image. With Core Image Hardware Acceleration, your Mac's UI will run faster. For more info check out these places:

To check and see if a card has Core Image support--->Click Here
    Here's a site I recommend for getting a good deal on a GPU--->Old-Macs

3. Aameiel, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

Aameiel thread starter macrumors regular

Aameiel

Nice thank you very much !! I also wanna say that your website is awesome ( MyMacCollection ) i found alot of usefull info on that :)

4. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Glad I could help and thanks for the compliment. Be sure to follow MyMacCollection on Facebook and/or Twitter to keep up to date on the site.

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Just to add in, I love the scroll reverser, just like on Lion.