video card replacement (by apple)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by martinchivers, Aug 22, 2013.

1. martinchivers macrumors regular

I hear that Apple are replacing some video cards, free, out of warranty. How do I establish, which model video card I have fitted, in my machine?

The effected card is....
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card

Fitted to 27-inch iMac computers with 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processors.

Mine is a 2.8 GHz intel core i5. But I have 50% left hand side, dark screen. Spoken to Apple, who deny there is a "known problem", but this is well documented on the net & very common.

Maybe clutching at straws, but if the card could be replaced, there is a possibility that it will rectify my problem or that Apple will see that its a big issue & replace my monitor.

Thanks guys (as ever!) Martin

2. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

Have you checked if your serial number is in the list ?

3. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

I havent seen a list. Just a posting on a forum, with the models listed.

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Can you provide links where this stuff is documented? I have a 27" iMac with this card and no issues currently after more than a year of frequent gaming. So I am not presently concerned with it but I am curious about it where it is the one I own in my mid-2011 iMac.

This is the first I have heard of any issues with the 6970m and I visit this forum daily and have for over a year now as well as the gaming forum on MacRumors. Somehow, if this was a frequent problem I would expect it would be posted about often here but I have not seen that. I'm not saying you are wrong but I'd like to see your sources for this if you don't mind.

5. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

6. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

The MacRumors article had more useful details about effectivity:

I presume this information is accurate.

7. martinchivers thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers. Mine isn't one effected. But taking it in on Tuesday, so we will see.