Video Card Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VC45, Aug 5, 2009.

1. VC45 macrumors newbie

I own a 17" macbook pro which was purchased in August of 2007. I recently got the black screen of death and am wondering about the failed video cards from this time that apple put into the mbps.

While I know that it can be replaced for free through apple, there is an issue as there small cracks around the outside of the screen, which are totally unrelated. if there is this kind of small damage, probably my fault, will this jeopardize my chances of getting the video card replaced?

2. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

If the Mac Genius can establish that the small cracks on your screen could be tied to the damage of the video card, then yes. If the cracks on the screen look to have no bearing on the damage to the video card, then you will get a replacement.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I wouldn't put it past Apple to blame the cracks on the failing GPU. It's even worse because it could be a related issue (display + GPU vs. GPU + dent on the palm rest for example.) Still, take it in. They should perform the GPU test and repair if necessary.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Try an external monitor if possible, then it should help diagnose whether it's your own fault from damaging the screen, or whether it is a GPU problem. If it still doesn't work then this should help Apple diagnose it and then replace/repair it for you.