Video Card Upgrade Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by surfmadison, Mar 10, 2015.

1. surfmadison macrumors member

I have a 5.1 MP (Mid 2010) 3.33 GHz 6 core with the stock video card (ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB). I only use the MP for Final Cut X. I waste a lot of time waiting for renders and encoding. So I was hoping/thinking that an upgraded video card might speed up my process.

Any thoughts on the best way to go about this and or best cards to get.?
    I use Compressor and Adobe Encoder.

Thanks for your assistance.

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Wow...

You can squish so much from that computer.

I have the 2008 Mac Pro with 2GB Nvidia Quatro card and the difference was nothing. I added 32 GB of ram as well. I am using it as a server, you need processing.

I have too a 2010 iMac with 1GB of VRam. I would change the hard drive for a flash drive. With FCPX the renders are in the background any way.

Now, as we speak I am doing a render in that computer with Cinema 4D, it takes 8 minutes per frame.

I am doing the same render on a brand new 15" Mac Book Pro with 2GB of VRam, 16 GB of ram and quad 2.8 i7. Each frame takes 5 minutes, sometimes 4,30.

So... to gain speed you would need a new machine. I would keep the one you have for render farm but I would go for a new iMac probably.

3. surfmadison thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure?

It is my understanding that the nMP is the computer for FCX instead of an iMac. And that one of the reasons the nMP is so good for FCX is due to the dual video cards and the GPU's at work.

4. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I think you should look out for a better graphics card for your MacPro. A Radeon 7950 or a flashed Radeon 7970 should speed up FCPX and Compressor.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

Using dual Quadro 4000 on my MP2012.

FCPX is amazing on this almost there with work nMP D700s.

The bonus of the Quadro is maintaining CUDA for Adobe and Resolve.

I was going to buy a personal nMP but this MP2012 is still kicking butt at home and I cut a ton of RED files.

6. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I would second the recommendation to get a 7950 or 7970. I got a 7970 (upgraded from 5770) from MVC, which was a huge improvement in render times. I'm just a home user, so it wasn't worth it for me to get a card requiring external power.

fwiw, if you think you'll use CUDA much, you could get a GTX card (680 seems to be a bit of a sweet spot, but I haven't used one myself).

7. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

I also have a MP 3.1 Evga 285 - 24g ram

I left it to late to buy a new Evga 680 ( smacks self in head ) But what are my options now? I need Cuda and also at least 2g Vram, more than 2g would be great but I believe the original power supply can only handle about a 2g card.

I don't want to install a seperate power supply. I have to make this machine last a bit longer until I buy a new workstation for my 3d work.

I had 18 mins a frame the other day in R16......mind you the scene was loaded to the gills with area lights, bounces all over the joint and truckloads of reflecting surfaces, no shadows either :)

8. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

C4D does not use the GPU when rendering, maybe look into OctaneRender for that.

As for GPU, look at the Mac Pro sub-forum, many threads about using the 970 and 980 in a Mac Pro.
    MacVidCards is a member you might look out for, since he tests them all and even sells flashed versions of them.

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Cheers.

I didn't want GPU rendering. My viewport gets hundreds of objects in it quite often, moving around without lag and display quality reduction is what I am looking for.

10. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

I understand.

I have the GX 970 and it works quite well with many objects.
    Maybe you have an example scene in mind I can take a look at to see how it works with the GTX 970 and what settings to use and what viewport size?

11. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but the scene has gigs of textures for a start, so I can't send it to you ( 4k Udims )

I can post a couple of C4d screenshots if you like? ( It's an architectural scene )

12. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

And you need to see the textures in the viewport?

13. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

I have a lot of polished wooden structures, which need to have high quality wooden maps with out any ( or very little ) visible repeats in them. I also need to keep track of Map seams to fix in these structures as well, hence the good quality graphics card required as the camera moves past many hero objects.

I usually set up my camera animation in a file without textures etc, that is ok for navigation, but certain scenes require viewport render, tweak geometry or lighting and check for seams. This is where my current card could maybe use an upgrade.

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

As far as I know the 3,33 ghz 6 core processor in the op's Mac Pro is faster than your brand new 15" MacBook Pros processor according to benchmarks. The Mac Pro can be upgraded with a gtx 970 or 980 gpu for example which will destroy your brand new MacBook Pros 2gb mobile gpu. And the Mac Pro can be upgraded with a pci ssd and up to 64 gb ram. That 2010 Mac Pro can be faster than a current mbp - and that' even before thermal throttling on the mnp during long renders. The MacBook Pro is great for portability, but as a render machine not so much.

15. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I am just comparing against the equipment I have, I have no clue what you are talking about. And Cinema 4D does not uses gpu for output renders, it uses only the cores. Have you been drinking? your post makes no sense based on what I wrote originally. Or are you trying (TRYING) to show off? Do not bother in answering me. No in mood to be dealing with kids.

16. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Relax, no need for insults.

I just wanted to point out that this advice from you:

Probably wasn't the best one in my opinion since the op has a 3,33 ghz 6 core Mac Pro. I didn't write anything about Cinema 4D, neither did the op. Final Cut Pro X uses the gpu.

Peace and have a nice day.

17. chirpie macrumors 6502a

chirpie