Video Card Upgrade Question

mohaukachi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 28, 2003
los angeles
im thinking about upgrading my video card on my g5 single 1.8 but i have questions first. thought this might be a good place to bounce some ideas off people. first of all, agp is different than pci right? so i cant really ADD a card, and have 2 can i? i don't know enough about hardware to figgure this one out. i would like to have a main monitor card and a secondary monitor card, but im willing to sacrifice.

right now i have the basic 64meg one that came with the comp. i play a lot of games and im thinking about the radeon 9800 pro mac 256 version. is there something better for that price? (300 bucks) also does anyone know if there is a good place to get a deal on that card? oooh or even better, are there any new awesome cards soon to be released i should wait for?

thanks for the advice guys!

k

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Ahhh

Good point.

Well the 256MB card would be better of course, if you can swing the $259 G5 Special Edition and still get the $50 rebate, I would tend to go that route.

Wait a couple weeks, I think ATI has something up their sleeve (as well as the soon to be released 9650 hybrid card). See http://www.barefeats.com for more information and performance.

Good luck!

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
You can only have one AGP card in a computer at a time so if you wanted dual video cards you would need one AGP and one PCI. But I think on the Mac side of things the best PCI card you'll find (other than a hacked PC version) is a Radeon 7500 or something. That's probably fine for running the second display for just basic stuff. Don't expect great things from Doom 3 on that monitor. :)

The Radeon 9800 Mac Edition (or Pro Mac Edition) is a great card. I put one in my dual G4 PowerMac and saw a pleasant improvement in display quality and speed over my base 9000. But if your G5 has a 9600, the 9800 won't be a HUGE improvement (it'll be better for sure, just not amazingly better).

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Welp, the AGP 9600 hybrid was released...

I would buy the Special Edition 9800 256MB for your machine.

It can be had at Newegg for $188 this morning (refurb)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.