Video Card upgrade question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottious, Nov 26, 2007.

1. scottious macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a mac pro with the default GeForce 7300GT. I opened up the case and realized that there are no power cables hanging out anywhere. I know that all high end cards like the GeForce 8800GTX need power to them. I searched on google about upgrading how to get power to these cards if it is possible but it yielded no results. Does anyone know if it's possible to get power to a GeForce 8800GTX if I wanted to upgrade?

2. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

There are two power connectors for the graphics card on the Mac Pro motherboard. Each, I believe, can provide 75W. PCIe slot 1 or 2 also provides 75W of power.

See http://developer.apple.com/document...le_ref/doc/uid/TP40003937-DontLinkElementID_3

You'll need to find the cables yourself. Do a search on this forum and you'll probably find places to buy them. You could also stop off at an AASP and ask for the part. Typically Apple includes the cable with the card.

I don't know if anyone has put a Gefore 8800GTX in a Mac Pro.

I assume you'll be using the Geforce 8800GTX with Windows as MacOS X doesn't have drivers for it and there is no Mac firmware for it as well.

3. scottious thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm assuming that if I did put a GeForce 8x00 in the Mac Pro that MAC OS X would be able to understand the card enough to start up even if the advanced features of the card are not supported, is this correct?

4. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

OS X would not boot(or at least you wouldn't see anything) because there are no drivers for it nor is the card EFI bootable. It has to have a special BIOS to do that. You would have to put the 8800 into a secondary slot and even then only windows would be able to use it.

5. scottious thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting... So my only real option is a x1900XT, right?

Is it possible to buy a x1900XT from NewEgg and install it (provided I also bought a power cable for it) or do I have to go through Apple's x1900XT upgrade kit?

6. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

No, MacOS X doesn't support it. No drivers and no Mac firmware, means the Mac Pro will not boot MacOS X with it in.

Yes, you have to buy the Mac version of the Radeon X1900XT. Otherwise you have to spend time flashing the firmware of the card (if possible) and finding a power cable.