Video Card Woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Devian, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Devian macrumors newbie

Calling the Geekiest of Macintosh Geeks. I has a big problem! :confused: I have a 1st gen Macbook Pro and the vid card is going bad, causing a lot of overheating and freezing. How hard/expensive is this to replace? I'm good with technology and wouldn't be surprised if I could replace this by myself. I'm looking for a bit of advice though. Is it easy? How much? Should I just have a pro do it?

Dev

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Devian thread starter macrumors newbie

Well according to that, I should have brought it in when it started to freeze about a year ago. Crap...

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

If it's an actual, first gen MBP, you have the ATI X1600, which isn't covered under the recall, so bringing it in would do nothing.

If you do have the 8600GT, you may get lucky, a friend of mine who works at an Apple store told me that even though the policy is 4 years from date of purchase, his Apple store will honour the warranty even past the 4 years.

As with 99.99% of laptops, the graphics card is soldered onto the logicboard, thus it is not replaceable without replacing the whole logicboard.