Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpro8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
i know the MacPro is not a gaming computer but my friend is challenging me on 3dmark scores, does cinebench has a gpu score or any other programs that test out the video card, my co-worker has (1) 320mb 8800 gts on 2gb of ram on a core 2 duo custom PC and he scored 20,000 3dmark, what kind of card i need to beat that score, we having a mac vs pc thing at my work and i'm the only mac guy there surrounded by gamers, so what card can i get, if any one of you have the 512mb ati 1900 what's your score?

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
There is no video card you can get to run under OSX that will come close to the 8800 GTS (let alone the GTX or Ultra). You can put the 8800 series and run it in windows but then they might poke fun saying that you've got a mac and have to boot into windows to compete. I think you need to take the fight into another direction. Instead of GPU, make it CPU scores. I hope you have an 8 core though because it wont take much to match the speed of a dual dualcore 3Ghz using a Q series 4core processor.

Having said all that, computer drag racing is kind of stupid. Its like comparing car performance by numbers. Driver A might suck but have a faster car but Driver B might be awsome but in a slower car. In a race, chances are driver B might win. A faster computer is great and all but doesnt mean tasks will get done any faster because users have different ways of doing things and its possible for somene on a slower computer to work more efficiently and get the job done first.

Also I'm not a mac guy..I'm mostly a PC guy but do have a mac as a 2nd machine but I dont do the computer comparisions anymore because its kind of pointless. As long as the computer does the job, thats the most important thing. I have a Q6600 quad core system as my main box but I also have a dual PIII 550Mhz system which I sometimes use and to be honest, its still very usable. It may be 20x slower than my 4 core system but if I had to do something in photoshop as a project and it took me 1 hour on my 4 core, I bet it would only take me 15 mins more on the ancient computer ... because the bottleneck would still be me :)

i know the MacPro is not a gaming computer but my friend is challenging me on 3dmark scores, does cinebench has a gpu score or any other programs that test out the video card, my co-worker has (1) 312mb 8800 gts on 2gb of ram on a core 2 duo custom PC and he scored 20,000 3dmark, what kind of card i need to beat that score, we having a mac vs pc thing at my work and i'm the only mac guy there surrounded by gamers, so what card can i get, if any one of you have the 512mb ati 1900 what's your score?

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
does any one knows the actual 3dmark score on a geforce 320mb 8800 gts?

You need to find out if its 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006...etc. What 3Dmark version did they try? I'm going to guess it was 2005.

...I just thought of something. If you do want to try and compete, you might try something called Ice storm fighters. Its a multicore capable game demo /benchmark. I think it puts a lot of CPU strain because it was running like a slideshow on my dualcore system but nice and smooth on my 4 core (same video card). Its windows based but its what I'd test instead of 3dmark.

macpro8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
You need to find out if its 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006...etc. What 3Dmark version did they try? I'm going to guess it was 2005.

...I just thought of something. If you do want to try and compete, you might try something called Ice storm fighters. Its a multicore capable game demo /benchmark. I think it puts a lot of CPU strain because it was running like a slideshow on my dualcore system but nice and smooth on my 4 core (same video card). Its windows based but its what I'd test instead of 3dmark.

it was 3dmark 06, i just checked the scores 3dmark website and the most i ever saw was 10,500

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
I think your friend is either lying to you or it was 05 because the only way he'd hit 20000 in '06 is with a pair of 8800 GTX in SLI and even then I bet thats really stretching it. Maybe highly overclocked..etc.

it was 3dmark 06, i just checked the scores 3dmark website and the most i ever saw was 10,500

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.