Video Chat Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mopje, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mopje macrumors newbie

Hello I want to video chat my friend in Japan who is planning on buying a webcam. Since I have a mac Ill be using my built in camera. The only way I know to video chat with him is through AIM but today I tried a one way video with just my built in camera but the option was not available. He has the latest AIM service and I can do it with my other friends. So why cant I do a one way chat with him? Will he be able to chat with me through AIM with his webcam on his Windows XP computer?

Thank You

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea... a couple of my friends use video chat, but I don't. Anyway, as long as him AIM client recognizes the webcam, and he installs the drivers correctly, it should be no problem. And in iChat, in AIM specifically, make sure when he is logged in, there is a video chat icon next to his handle/screenname. The icon matches the icons on the bottom, 3rd one from the left. If you see the icon next to his screenname, then simply click the icon and it will send a confirmation to his AIM client. Once he accepts, that should be the beginning of the video chat.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Just to add as a suggestion, you may want to check out Skype. I've had much more success with it in comparison with AIM/iChat. I have family with Windows, OS X, and/or Linux and this helps me video chat with all of them.

4. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I have used the video chat on ichat with someone on aim. It worked great. Also dont' forget to use some of the cool backgrounds in the video chat. There is a cool one that makes you look like you are riding a roller coaster, always good for a laugh.

5. mopje thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies, but Im still not understanding why I cannot have a 1 way video chat with him. The camera icon as mentioned above does appear on most of my friends but not on him. What is it that enables this on some people but not others?

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

iChat is not set up to do one way video chats. To do a video chat both computers must have webcams. Once your friend gets a webcam you can both video chat.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ guys right... and have him enable his webcam.

8. cfs macrumors 6502a

I live in the USA and talk to family in Japan all the time via webcam. My in-laws have both a new Macbook and also Windows XP. I have an imac aluminum.

We both have great internet connection speeds and we have found out that Skype has beaten most free video chats we have used. It even beats ichat when doing mac to mac chat-for us at least. The onlyu issue with Skype is that it disconnects at times, but no big deal because we just connect again in seconds.

-cfs