Video Chat mac -> non mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sicrado, Jan 14, 2008.

1. sicrado macrumors newbie

sicrado

OK so i upgraded to leopard for the sole purpose of being able to video chat with friends and family who aren't on a mac... now when i try to do it, i just see a preview of me? i can hear them, just can't see.... what gives?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

This can sometimes be an inexact science.

Within iChat, your buddies will have to have the latest version of AIM, I believe. Obviously they'll have to have a webcam as well, otherwise you'll just initiate a one-way video chat. Also, they can't be webcamming with anyone else, since a video stream can only be sent to one app at a time.

Also, Panther and Tiger could video chat with non-Mac users... there was no particular need to upgrade to Leopard to accomplish this.

3. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Almost noone uses AIM in canada, so what other video chat software is there? I wish MSN was currect with mac, so we could chat with PC hotmail users.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

as someone suggest above,

SKYPE, is THE best choice.

5. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

x2. The only thing Leopard really adds, is the ability to login to AIM "invisible", which was really annoying not being able to do in Tiger. You don't need to do anything to your Mac to be able to video chat; if it's not working, the problem is most likely the software version/settings/firewall settings on the other end. Although, depending on what service you're using, you may have trouble if you're using a firewall/router on your side. You may need to open some ports depending on the software.

6. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

I use Skype with my friends and it works great.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

For MSN, the aMSN project will work, sort of. Video, no audio, and it's a VERY slow/kludgy/ugly app. But it does in a pinch.

Apparently Microsoft will be coding a whole new MSN Messenger for OS X? But it's not going to be out for a year or something. I remember hearing about it a while ago, filed it in the wastebin since I rarely use MSN for anything.