video chat not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mNewVillage, Jun 9, 2007.

1. mNewVillage macrumors newbie

just got a new macbook pro (first mac) and when i try to video chat with my friends on ichat it says that i don't respond, even though i clearly pressed accept

my friend said i need to "DMZ my router to my IP address." i have no idea what that means or how to do it, and my friend isn't any good at explaining.

help?

2. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

3. gameguy3001 macrumors member

What you could try doing is connecting to the apple test accounts. You'll just need to make a new buddy that is a AOL account with the name appleu3test01. When you start a video chat, it should show one of the mac adds. If it works, the problem isn't on your end.

If it doesn't work, you may need to "DMZ your router to your IP address." What the stands for is Demilitarized Zone, it makes to so you computer isnt behind a firewall anymore. So the internet traffic isnt filtered.

What i would suggest doing is to open the port on the router that are needed for iChat. They are 5060, 5190, 5220, 5222, 5298, 5353, 5678, and 16384 through 16403. You can read more about it if you want on Apple's Support Site.

As for how to do this on your router, you would need to connect to your router by opening Safari (or any other internet browser) and type in the IP address of the router (usually 192.168.1.1) and you'll be able to access the routers settings.

Hope that helps. :)