Video Chat not working...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sportsfanMAW, Nov 13, 2007.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

I'm currently at a timeshare in Hawaii that has free wifi, and there is an ethernet cable too. I'm connected to both and I'm trying to video chat home to my family. However it keeps saying their failing to respond. But they're not. Can anyone help me on why this is happening?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Video chatting requires a certain internet speed or higher to operate... maybe your free wifi wasn't fast enough.

3. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

iChat and AIM for windows didn't seem to like each other while I tried to do the same with my family. The thing that I ended up doing (mind you this was in tiger so idk about leopard haven't tried it yet) was I uninstalled all of the extra video effects, and had them invite me. I had to click right way so it didn't freak out.

However, the best thing to do is get them a mac! :p haha

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend you download Skype at both ends...

5. doowrehs macrumors regular

As mentioned, it's possibly due to lack of bandwidth or it could be firewall issues. Unless you can get access to the router and check it's firewall settings, you're stuck. Definitely try using Skype, though, since it often runs into less firewall conflicts than iChat.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

iChat has some bugs

iChat also has some new bugs. I experienced them on Video chat, exactly as you described. I was able to work around it by simplifying my routing configuration. Screen share, however, was impossible to get working in the same configuration. My configuration involves a PPTP VPN connection, with some destinations not going through the VPN, and having internal IP addresses.

A network trace confirmed it was a bug; nothing to do with your network capacity.

edit: Oh, and don't connect to the wifi AND the cable. Try just one at a time, and make sure to quit and restart ichat each time you switch.

7. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Um i don't no why your assuming their on a pc... Their on an imac and im on a macbook.

As for bandwith speed according to CNET i got 554 kpbs.. The minimum is only 300 something right?

8. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

well i downloaded skype and got it to work...

Kind of a shame that ichat doesn't but skype does. I wanted to use ichat theater to share some of my pics :/. To bad.