Video chat options for iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by paolo90, May 14, 2011.

1. paolo90 macrumors newbie

I love FaceTime but I also want to be able to make video calls to friends and family who are on Windows. Is that crappy Skype for iPhone app really my only option?:confused:

2. p0p9y9 macrumors member

Try Vtok for iPad. Allows you to video and voice chat with your Gtalk contacts. Available in the App Store.

3. Sorilla macrumors newbie

4. Smoothness macrumors regular

5. paolo90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks interesting. Thanks!

Doesn't seem to work on Mac/Windows.

6. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Have you tried the Skype app? It works on my iPhone 4 and while I haven't yet tried to call anyone on my iPad2 it definitely does load up the same way. The main app layout is a bit pixelated when I use the 2x feature on the bottom but I can't see why it wouldn't allow video calls?

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Vtok actually looks and sounds amazing - if it works as advertised.

Can anyone vouch for it?

8. paolo90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I implied in my original post, I did try it and yes, it makes video calls. I just don't like it because it always crashes on me when I use it on the iPad2.

9. davwin, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

davwin macrumors regular

I have used video calling between an iPad 2 (as well as other iOS devices) and a Windows desktop client and it works on all of these...

VTok
    Yahoo Messenger

Some of my impressions comparing these 4 against each other:
    The big caveats here are the quality and cost of these clients/connections. Assuming WiFi as your best possible connection, Skype has proven to be the easiest to use with the best quality at the best price=free. As you pointed out in your earlier post though, the iOS app itself isn't all that stable so you will have to tolerate occasional crashes or erratic logouts among other problems. Mirial ClearSea works very well and the video quality is very good. However, this is a professional level server/client based application so is Not free and may be more than you really need. You can get a free demo account from within the app that will include 2 usernames to try out and is not feature limited so you can hand out 1 to a desktop participant and use the other for yourself on your iPad2 or other device. Again though, this is definitely not a cheap app when you factor in the cost of the server. VTok works fairly well and is free but the video quality is not very high compared to Skype or ClearSea. Still, it is acceptable quality and free and the GTalk desktop client is easily accessible to anyone. The other option is Yahoo Messenger; it works and is free as well but, the quality is pretty poor compared to all of the others IMO.

I ranked these in a loose order above based on quality but, remember that if ease-of-use is a higher priority or cost, or anything else they would not be listed in the same order. The main thing I would recommend is to try each of these out yourself. All are free or there is a free trial so see which you find easy to use and which has the best audio and video quality for your calls. and of course the clients I listed are specifically to connect from an iPad to a desktop Windows client - there are many more apps for mobile to mobile or iPad to Mac or other variations...

10. webvan macrumors member

Thanks, that comparison is helpful. The next one to look out for is Tango I guess as I heard they were coming up with a desktop version later this year.