video chat trouble

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AHDuke99, May 14, 2007.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

my friend just got his first mac because i wanted him to make the stock go up, and he is trying to video chat with me. we connect alright, but for some reason i get no audio from him and he doesnt get anything from me, either. my microphone registers fine and he says his does too. is there anything special we need to do to get it setup right?

2. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Some more details please...

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Is the sound problem only between you two, or when either one of you sets up a chat with anyone else does the same thing happen? Also, does it matter who initiates the chat?

4. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

like? i know its kinda abstract .. it happens when either of us initiate. i guess i need to be able to see it to see if he has everything working right. i've never done a video chat on my MBP, so it could be me as well.

5. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

just got an error when trying to do an audio only chat. hmmmm

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

This has actually occured with me, sometimes it's who im trying to chat with. Find someone else who can video chat, and see if you can hear audio. Again make sure your (and their) audio isn't set to line in, unless thats the microphone your using...

7. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

we both checked the audio in and it was the internal mics.... could a firewall possibly block the audio? i've done audio chats before on my machine so i dont see why it'd be screwed up now. my friend is new to apple, so i dont know if he did something or not. he wanted to try out his isight and so far the poor guy has been disappointed.

8. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I do not think that a firewall could do this. However, go through and check your firewall settings. Does this problem only relate to you two, or can you not video/audio chat with anyone?

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

It happend to me couple times that I could not connect using ichat with someone else and was getting an error message. But it was due to a AIM sever problem. Try skype and than you will be sure if thats computer or network problem

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Thats a great idea! Why didn't i think of that :D

11. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

honestly, many of my friends have PCs .. in fact most do, so finding someone with audio will be hard. but i will wait for one of my mac friends to get online and try it with them.

i'll check back here once i try it.

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

They can be PC users, it doesn't have to be apples mighty cool multiple audio/video chat, just as long as you can audio/video with anyone. Good luck :)

13. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

had the same problem, i just rest my settings for iChat and it work

14. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Which settings?

15. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

so i tried it with someone and got sound. sounds like its an issue coming from my friends new macbook. he said he played chess with voice and it worked. dunno if that matters, though.

16. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Did you try Skype and see if it worked there?

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Try skype with your friend. Also tell your friend to try chatting with a different person as well.