Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
my friend just got his first mac because i wanted him to make the stock go up, and he is trying to video chat with me. we connect alright, but for some reason i get no audio from him and he doesnt get anything from me, either. my microphone registers fine and he says his does too. is there anything special we need to do to get it setup right?

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
my friend just got his first mac because i wanted him to make the stock go up, and he is trying to video chat with me. we connect alright, but for some reason i get no audio from him and he doesnt get anything from me, either. my microphone registers fine and he says his does too. is there anything special we need to do to get it setup right?

Some more details please...

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Is the sound problem only between you two, or when either one of you sets up a chat with anyone else does the same thing happen? Also, does it matter who initiates the chat?

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Some more details please...

like? i know its kinda abstract .. it happens when either of us initiate. i guess i need to be able to see it to see if he has everything working right. i've never done a video chat on my MBP, so it could be me as well.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
just got an error when trying to do an audio only chat. hmmmm

This has actually occured with me, sometimes it's who im trying to chat with. Find someone else who can video chat, and see if you can hear audio. Again make sure your (and their) audio isn't set to line in, unless thats the microphone your using...

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
This has actually occured with me, sometimes it's who im trying to chat with. Find someone else who can video chat, and see if you can hear audio. Again make sure your (and their) audio isn't set to line in, unless thats the microphone your using...

we both checked the audio in and it was the internal mics.... could a firewall possibly block the audio? i've done audio chats before on my machine so i dont see why it'd be screwed up now. my friend is new to apple, so i dont know if he did something or not. he wanted to try out his isight and so far the poor guy has been disappointed.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I do not think that a firewall could do this. However, go through and check your firewall settings. Does this problem only relate to you two, or can you not video/audio chat with anyone?

Mydel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2006
Sometimes here mostly there
It happend to me couple times that I could not connect using ichat with someone else and was getting an error message. But it was due to a AIM sever problem. Try skype and than you will be sure if thats computer or network problem

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
It happend to me couple times that I could not connect using ichat with someone else and was getting an error message. But it was due to a AIM sever problem. Try skype and than you will be sure if thats computer or network problem

Thats a great idea! Why didn't i think of that :D

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I do not think that a firewall could do this. However, go through and check your firewall settings. Does this problem only relate to you two, or can you not video/audio chat with anyone?

honestly, many of my friends have PCs .. in fact most do, so finding someone with audio will be hard. but i will wait for one of my mac friends to get online and try it with them.

i'll check back here once i try it.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
honestly, many of my friends have PCs .. in fact most do, so finding someone with audio will be hard. but i will wait for one of my mac friends to get online and try it with them.

i'll check back here once i try it.

They can be PC users, it doesn't have to be apples mighty cool multiple audio/video chat, just as long as you can audio/video with anyone. Good luck :)

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
so i tried it with someone and got sound. sounds like its an issue coming from my friends new macbook. he said he played chess with voice and it worked. dunno if that matters, though.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Try skype with your friend. Also tell your friend to try chatting with a different person as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.