Video Chat will never happen....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zFrenchy, Jul 8, 2009.

1. zFrenchy macrumors member

If at&t has trouble with MMS then there is no chance of Video Chat...... right?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

AT&T doesnt have trouble, they have just been sluggish getting their networks up to snuff, but they will be there soon.

3. cobalt135 macrumors regular

You are correct...

4. SAG3194 macrumors 6502

SAG3194

change your title to "Video Chat will never happen with AT&T"

You never know. Apple might change networks ;)

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

haha ... well, we've already had video chatting in Canada with other phones. Other countries also have video chatting. And what about Wifi?

Video chatting is certainly coming - it'll just take some time (and it may not come to the states, for whatever reason).

6. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

7. moka macrumors 6502a

AT&T is the top company to have the latest technology around, sad part is they are not making much use of it.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

They need more towers to cover half of California than some international carriers need to cover the whole country.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It took apple 3 iPhones for video to be implemented. Also I can't see apple putting a front facing camera in the iPhone, or an glowing apple logo on the back.

10. RangerXML macrumors regular

I originally had one of the RAZR V3xx, which in Europe and Asia features an inward facing camera for video calls/chatting, but when I got my phone (after all the excitement) I noticed how the camera was missing...

...For AT&T the camera had been pulled because the network wouldn't have been about to support it. I used that phone for years via tethering to do video chatting with family in Europe on my notebook (even my netbook). Now this with the iPhone.

11. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

Who said anything about a glowing apple logo?

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Having worked for a cell phone manufacturer, I can tell you there are a LOT of factors that go into bringing a phone and/or adoption rate of the marketplace.

The hard truth is - the United States is a good 3-5 years behind countries such as china and japan for technology adoption.

Obviously we know the technology exists. But user adoption (and I'm not talking people who sign in here who are obviously more technologically advance than a lot) is slower here.

Asian countries were texting with great speed for several years before texting even became popular here. And that has to do with the fact that they were more savvy at picking up t9 typing. American's were much slower in not only adopting the idea, but using it on a regular basis to warrant a need/demand.

EMS (enhanced messaging) with pictures and midi ringtones were the next step with MMS planned for 1-2 years after EMS. The adoption rate by the mass public is again, much slower.

It's a vicious cycle - many people would love the technology, but the initial demand/usage doesn't yet (to the carriers) warrant the cost of upgrades while also figuring out how to charge for it appropriately to make money.

Take a poll amongst the "normal" American cell phone users if they know what MMS is (without explaining any context, or setting the question up) and you can bet most have no clue.

Any product and company desires a saturation point. That involves planning, marketing and education of the consumer.

Look at high-def TV's and its adoption rate. And would you believe the amount of people that required a box when the stations switched to all digital?

Point is - all these features will come. They will be rolled out in a very planned and organized manner. And it's not just ATT. It's across all the providers.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think we'll have video chat (or at least the iPhone for most countries) next WWDC. That'll definitely be a new wow for Apple to introduce as well as who knows what else. But I would think with them having enabled video with the 3GS that they'll introduce video chat next year for sure. I'd actually read somewhere that was one of the reason Steve Jobs wasn't too keen on MMS to begin with, since he wanted to do something different.

14. Appdict macrumors regular

Adding video chat into a phone would redefine the word phone. I don't think it would happen if it could. If it would, it'd certainly not be the iPhone. Something else by Apple, surely. :).

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm guessing at&t's network (or any in the states) isn't fast enough for good video chatting. How many dropped calls do we already experience? Apple won't implement it until 1) a video chat infrastructure is in place and 2) it looks and works great.

16. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Another network maybe. AT&T is the worst I don't care what you people say about "lastest" technology.

If you can't rollout coverage your dead. No one in the US cares about world wide coverage.

If Sprint can allow for full video TV streaming over there network as well as Verizon, im sure they'll allow it on there networks if the iPhone comes to them.

17. hotpace1 macrumors newbie

Video chatting has been available in the UK with the '3' network for at least 5 years now! And no-one I know uses it! Sorry I rephrase that. They all used it for about a day as it was a fun new thing but after that, never again!

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Download streams are always going to be faster (look at cable/dsl as a model) - upload streams which video chatting would require is a whole other ballgame

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not going to say AT&T is a great cell phone provider, but I don't think any of them are. However, AT&T is one of the biggest and they didn't get there for nothing. Anyway, I find it hard to believe that AT&T won't eventually step up to the plate and make improvements, perhaps enough to support video chat. Otherwise, they'll fall the way of some of the other companies in the U.S. who've gone out of business. Time will tell.

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It's more like AT&T and other cellular networks hold a monopoly over the industry and they simply won't allow advances in technologies like that, unless of course certain products push them, sort of like how the iPhone has pushed data usage in general. If any company could break the will of the carriers, it would probably be Apple (at least at this point).

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You are incorrect!

If this were true then I couldn't tether my MBP to my iPhone and iChat with anyone I please...

Hmmm, so I must have magic fairies in my MBP cause I've done it almost everyday for the last 2 weeks.

22. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Has anyone gotten billed yet for doing that tethering carrier update/hack? I hope to God you guys don't all get charged per kb! :eek:

23. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Nope!

24. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

You know people complain about 30.00 a month for data. What do you think you will have to pay for it? Then people will complain even more.

I might be alone but I do not need video chat on my phone. That is what a computer is for.

25. arykmax macrumors regular

You're not alone. It may be cool if they ever do offer it but you aren't going to hear me complain about not having it.