Video Chat with AIM/iSight

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sumire, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Sumire macrumors newbie

I have a iMac with built in iSight, but Video Chat will not work with AIM. The person at the receiving end gets no video; only audio. She has a webcam too, but my Mac can't seem to detect that she does and there is an error when we try to do two way video chat.

Could anybody help? Thank you.

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    iChat connection errors can stem from any number of problems, anywhere from firewalls, to ISPs, to routers, to AIM versions, to cable/DSL modems, to internet or network congestion.

Your best bet is to find all of the information you can find about your ISP (name, DSL or cable, speed, etc.), modem (DSL or cable, brand, model number), computer (model, OS X version, iChat version), and all of the same for your friend and post your question on the Apple Discussions Forums.

Ralph Johns is a very knowledgeable man that generally responds to all questions posed in the iChat AV forums. He should be able to help you sort through your problems.

3. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I'll tell you like a lot of people will tell you: use iChat or get Adium. For video chat, I recommend iChat, because you don't have to download any drivers for it.

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

That's what the OP is doing, and he's getting connection errors...

5. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Hm. I thought he was saying HIS (HER?) AIM wouldn't work, but I see it now. :) But, he (she?) doesn't actually specify what program is being used...

6. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

:p true... I didn't realize that until you posted. Glad we got each other straightened out. :D

OP have you tried the Apple Discussions Forums? Post back with your results and how you worked it out!

7. Sumire thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thank you.

I use iChat already by the way. It's iChat to AIM chat.