video chat with girlfriend on PC, I'm on a Mac: only works one way

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seenew, Sep 14, 2007.

1. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm trying to video chat with my girlfriend since we're both away at school. She's on a Windows XP laptop, and I'm on an iMac. She's got a "Logitech QuickCam for Notebooks Deluxe", and I've got my built in iSight. I can hear AND see her, but she can only hear me. The video on her end is just a black screen. She's using the latest version of AIM and I'm using the latest version of iChat.

So what's up?
    She's coming to visit next weekend and bringing it with her, because I hope maybe I can fix it in person, but any help is appreciated! I spent $70 on this thing for her, and so far it's been worthless! :(

2. wanda macrumors member

I also had some issues with this. I found it to be the router, I have a lynksis at home connected to our PC. The lynksis has certain ports that have to be opened for the video chat to work right. You might want to try a search on this site for the right ones to open, depending on what kind of router her computer is behind. Good luck.

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I assume that you have had this iMac work successfully in a two-way video iChat? Just so that we can rule it out.

4. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew

Yes, I have even chatted with other Windows users before. Just for some reason, I can't with her. She's not hooked into a router, but she is on a school connection.

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

I was never able to get a Mac-PC iChat-AIM video connection working well through my school's network. I switched to Skype on both computers and everything worked great. You might try that as an option.

6. rglatter macrumors regular

I had this problem too. I use www.stickam.com for my video chats. You can have it totally private and a chatroom password protected too. It works on any computer with a webcam because it is flash based.

7. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

seenew