Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPodClassic1

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2017
Antarctica
Hi I use a 13” 2009 MacBook Pro with a ssd drive to do this now
Will I notice much difference

Depends on what type of video you're clipping. Lookout for some video editing videos on youtube, for the macbook 12. Some people do some decent editing but remember, this is not a Macbook Pro nor an iMac.

Macbooks have no fans nor dedicated graphic cards and stuff like that. However, if you only mean clipping, and not any other sort of editing, should be good.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
So I would probably have a full game around 1hr 20min sometimes this has already been split into quarters. I’ll clip sections of play usually no more than 30’s
Sometimes I need to join the clips together

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
2009 13" MacBook Pro?

The 2017 Core m3 MacBook is significantly faster than that machine. It will feel much zippier in general. Surfing for example will be much, much improved, as will general OS navigation and multitasking.

That should be true for your light video editing too, but it would also depend upon what you are editing exactly. Mind you, as you know, a 2009 13" MacBook Pro is already capable of this at least with basic h.264 1080p material, with just clipping and no big edits.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks that’s very helpful
Do you think it’s worth waiting to see if they upgrade it
There are a few rumours out there, but nothing solid:

1) Updates by October.
2) MacBook to get Amber Lake Y. It would still be dual-core, but it's possible the USB-C speed would be bumped up.
3) 13" MacBook.

This all seems pretty iffy, but nonetheless if your 2009 still works fine, you may as well 4 more months, considering you've already waited 9 years. ;) The other thing to note is that the MacBook Pros may be updated around the same time too. It would be good to compare the specs before making any decision.

Rugbydman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Staffordshire, UK
There are a few rumours out there, but nothing solid:

1) Updates by October.
2) MacBook to get Amber Lake Y. It would still be dual-core, but it's possible the USB-C speed would be bumped up.
3) 13" MacBook.

This all seems pretty iffy, but nonetheless if your 2009 still works fine, you may as well 4 more months, considering you've already waited 9 years. ;) The other thing to note is that the MacBook Pros may be updated around the same time too. It would be good to compare the specs before making any decision.

Thanks very helpful again. A 13" would be great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.