Video codecs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Numzie, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Numzie macrumors newbie

Would it be possible to install new video codecs like Xvid and Divx now that the system has been jailbroken? Maybe a 3rd party video viewer altogether? Also support for DRM wma would be amazing.

2. cwolves macrumors regular

I'd bet on VLC within 3 months. Personally I just have a script that I wrote that auto-encodes any video I drop into a "to encode" video on my computer. I just drop movies in it and they're done when I wake up / get home from work. I also have uTorrent automatically move finished videos into that folder so as soon as they're done downloading they're encoded.

3. Numzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well other encoding formats can produce better quality at a smaller size which would be nice since the iTouch is only 16GB

4. cwolves macrumors regular

um...no they can't. H264 at max settings is basically the best codec there is and although the touch doesn't support max settings, cabac and b-frames work so you can get damn good quality at low bit-rates...if you're willing to take a battery life hit due to cpu usage. Note that videos with cabac or b-frames or cabac can't be copied with itunes but they will play.

5. California King macrumors 65816

How would you even get it on ur ipod since you need to do it through itunes

6. shoefly macrumors member

SFTP?

7. cwolves macrumors regular

as said, sftp. Unfortunately I can't figure out a way to play it back except through safari. I can't get the video into the ipod's itunes database, so I can't get it to show up in the video list. I also can't get it to play through finder since the video player is the audio player and it won't just open the video.

so I'm stuck going through safari.

Any ideas?

8. Numzie thread starter macrumors newbie

Copy a version of the video through iTunes then sftp in and replace that video with the other version. They have the same filenames right?