Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The Google Now cards feature is a constant drain on the battery, this is an indisputable fact. It is constantly checking your location and constantly downloading in the background. Unless you are asserting that there is a separate source of electricity that powers these features besides the battery, I don't see how you can argue it doesn't add extra battery drain.
The problem here, is you're speculating based on logic. I'm giving you real world use. Real world use > speculation. The problem with your logic is that, you fail to realize the phones where already tracking you anyway. When you first set the phone up and it asks you to give Google permission to track your location. So the phone was already gathering the same information it is now in Google Now. The difference is now it displays the cards, whereas before it didn't. The phone is still performing the same functions as before, hence no extra battery drain.

That argument is incorrect. All the video shows is that Google now defaults to a Google Search, while Siri defaults to a more local search before resorting to Google. If it can't find the answer locally, it asks if you'd like to do a Google Search.

For example, on Google Now, if you ask "What's my girlfriend's email address?"...it will do a google search for "What's my girlfriend's email address?" which completely fails.

If I ask Siri the same question, and Siri doesn't know who my girlfriend is, it will ask, "Who is your girlfriend?", I will provide the answer, and Siri will give me her address. From then on, Siri will know who my girlfriend is, and will not ask again.
So Siri assigns a label to a contact, big deal. I can just as easily ask Google Now to show me the contact information for the person I'm asking about. The difference is, you saying girlfriend or saying their name. From a functionality standpoint, it's exactly the same. Titles really aren't necessary, and don't add anything to the experience. The same way you can say a title, you can say a name. So in that, it is par.

Now for the opposite, if I ask Google Now, "Where is that Egyptian museum in San Jose?"...it does a Google Search and shows me.

If I ask Siri the same question, it will respond, "I don't know that. Would you like to search the web?", and when I confirm it will provide the exact same answer as Google Now. However, I have the option to simply say "Google where is that Egyptian museum in San Jose?"...and it will provide the exact same answer, with exactly the same speed as Google Now.
I'm not interested in having to think about what kinds of questions I need to say "Google" in front of. I just want to ask my phone my question and let it sort it out. I shouldn't have to remember to say "Google" in front of some things, and not in front of others. I should just be able to ask my question and let the phone do the work.

Google Now falls flat, as it has no intelligence, and simply performs a Google Search.
You have a very loose definition of intelligence. Assigning a label to a contact isn't intelligent, that's just cataloging. Intelligence is having an appointment scheduled for 3:00pm, there's traffic that's going to make it take 20 minutes longer to get there, and your phone notifying you that you should leave 20 minutes earlier to arrive on time due to traffic. That's intelligent. Intelligent is your phone knowing where you are about to go, and planning your route without you even inputting anything into it to tell it that. Intelligent is your phone knowing the Braves are playing, and periodically notifying you of the score because it's your favorite team. Intelligent is your phone notifying you of what time the next train is going to get there as you wait on the train platform. Intelligent is your phone suggesting a place for you to go eat, based on past places you've went to (even though you never input it into the phone even in the past). These things are what intelligent is. Intelligent is your phone knowing you and learning you, not recalling a pre-defined label you manually assigned to a contact in your phone.

As I said earlier, it is simply a front-end to a dictation of Google Search.
You're selling it short big time.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
The problem here, is you're speculating based on logic. I'm giving you real world use. Real world use > speculation. The problem with your logic is that, you fail to realize the phones where already tracking you anyway. When you first set the phone up and it asks you to give Google permission to track your location. So the phone was already gathering the same information it is now in Google Now. The difference is now it displays the cards, whereas before it didn't. The phone is still performing the same functions as before, hence no extra battery drain.

So Siri assigns a label to a contact, big deal. I can just as easily ask Google Now to show me the contact information for the person I'm asking about. The difference is, you saying girlfriend or saying their name. From a functionality standpoint, it's exactly the same. Titles really aren't necessary, and don't add anything to the experience. The same way you can say a title, you can say a name. So in that, it is par.

I'm not interested in having to think about what kinds of questions I need to say "Google" in front of. I just want to ask my phone my question and let it sort it out. I shouldn't have to remember to say "Google" in front of some things, and not in front of others. I should just be able to ask my question and let the phone do the work.

You have a very loose definition of intelligence. Assigning a label to a contact isn't intelligent, that's just cataloging. Intelligence is having an appointment scheduled for 3:00pm, there's traffic that's going to make it take 20 minutes longer to get there, and your phone notifying you that you should leave 20 minutes earlier to arrive on time due to traffic. That's intelligent. Intelligent is your phone knowing where you are about to go, and planning your route without you even inputting anything into it to tell it that. Intelligent is your phone knowing the Braves are playing, and periodically notifying you of the score because it's your favorite team. Intelligent is your phone notifying you of what time the next train is going to get there as you wait on the train platform. Intelligent is your phone suggesting a place for you to go eat, based on past places you've went to (even though you never input it into the phone even in the past). These things are what intelligent is. Intelligent is your phone knowing you and learning you, not recalling a pre-defined label you manually assigned to a contact in your phone.

You're selling it short big time.

I agree with about half of what you said.

Yes, the functionality you described is very intelligent, which is why I'm not really bashing it. My only comments towards the Cards functionality, is its accuracy, it's usefullness, and it's hit on battery. Read up on how the Google Now Cards work:

http://support.google.com/nexus/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2669989

Do your research, and you will see the phone is not already gathering this location information. It's just like Google Latitude, another useful Google feature that most people turn off because of the hit on battery life. Do a search for Google Latitude Battery and you'll see the complaints.

There really isn't any debating this point, there is no room for differing opinions here, it is a fact. You can debate that the hit on battery life is worth it, you can even argue that the hit is so small that most people wouldn't notice, but you cannot argue there is no hit on battery life when it is constantly checking your location, constantly checking traffic and constantly downloading information based on what it knows about you.

Regarding accuracy, my friend has Cards enabled on his phone, and it recently woke him up on a Saturday telling him he has to leave for work soon :) It's not perfect yet, and I'm sure that part will get better. I'm just not impressed with Google Traffic in general. It still tells me it'll take 24 minutes to commute during rush hour, when I know it takes me an hour minimum. If something's going to be giving me traffic based alerts, I don't want it to be Google Traffic.

While I find it interesting you think it doesn't impact the experience to have to say the persons name instead of "girlfriend", but it does impact the experience if you say "Google" in front of your search term, you're still missing the point. Even if you don't say "Google" with Siri, it will still give you the same information. Google Now will never tell me my girlfriend's email address, no matter how I say it.

In any case, that's just a single example, there are numerous examples where Siri is more intelligent than Google Now.

The main problem with your argument The iGentleman, is you're using Cards as an example of Google Now's intelligence, in a thread that's not about cards. The video does not depict cards, it depicts a series of questions asked by the user, and in this category, Siri's intelligence wins.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Do your research, and you will see the phone is not already gathering this location information. It's just like Google Latitude, another useful Google feature that most people turn off because of the hit on battery life. Do a search for Google Latitude Battery and you'll see the complaints.
What you fail to realize is, Google already is getting this information. Latitude is totally different from what I am talking about. When you first set the phone up, it asks you to give Google permission to track your location for improved searching. Google is already following you anyway. The difference is now they show you things as it relates to your location. There's no extra hit because it really isn't doing much of anything extra. Like I said, my battery life is no different at all with Google Now enabled. You're speaking theory, I'm speaking actual use.

There really isn't any debating this point, there is no room for differing opinions here, it is a fact. You can debate that the hit on battery life is worth it, you can even argue that the hit is so small that most people wouldn't notice, but you cannot argue there is no hit on battery life when it is constantly checking your location, constantly checking traffic and constantly downloading information based on what it knows about you.
You're right, this isn't up for debate. You're speculating and I'm talking first-hand real world use. You have no say until you've actually used it day to day in real life. You can theorize all you want, but your theories have no bearing on actuality.

Regarding accuracy, my friend has Cards enabled on his phone, and it recently woke him up on a Saturday telling him he has to leave for work soon :) It's not perfect yet, and I'm sure that part will get better. I'm just not impressed with Google Traffic in general. It still tells me it'll take 24 minutes to commute during rush hour, when I know it takes me an hour minimum. If something's going to be giving me traffic based alerts, I don't want it to be Google Traffic.
Can't speak for your experience, but I've used Google Navigation for a couple years now, and I've found it to be quite accurate actually. I've no qualms with it. As a matter of fact, it even gets traffic reports on streets that other traffic services don't even have (like smaller less major streets).

While I find it interesting you think it doesn't impact the experience to have to say the persons name instead of "girlfriend", but it does impact the experience if you say "Google" in front of your search term, you're still missing the point. Even if you don't say "Google" with Siri, it will still give you the same information. Google Now will never tell me my girlfriend's email address, no matter how I say it.
Saying "girlfriend" or saying her first name is no difference at all. Having to remember to say "Google" before certain things and not before others (depending on what I'm asking), is having to do too much. BTW, if I ask Google now "email for Daryl", it shows me a card with his email address.

In any case, that's just a single example, there are numerous examples where Siri is more intelligent than Google Now.
That's not much of an example. Intelligent would have been if Siri knew who your girlfriend was without you having to define it. Having to manually define titles/labels for people is not intelligent at all, that's just cataloging. If I have to go in and manually tell my phone who "mom" is, or who "girlfriend" is, that isn't intelligent at all. That's just assigning an alias to a contact. Nothing intelligent about that at all.

The main problem with your argument The iGentleman, is you're using Cards as an example of Google Now's intelligence, in a thread that's not about cards. The video does not depict cards, it depicts a series of questions asked by the user, and in this category, Siri's intelligence wins.
The problem is, people such as yourself who are taking only a small portion of the picture and saying, of Siri can do that too, but ignore the rest of everything else.

jessicajes

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
BB 10 OS will have a Siri like Voice Assistant

BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha allows you to use the mute key to unveil a voice assistant app which enable you to control the device by just talking into it.Competition is getting very hard day by day because Most of the handset makers are coming out with their own voice assistant apps, the . However, everybody knows who is still top in the game, and Siri has been implemented in a better way.:(:)

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha allows you to use the mute key to unveil a voice assistant app which enable you to control the device by just talking into it.Competition is getting very hard day by day because Most of the handset makers are coming out with their own voice assistant apps, the . However, everybody knows who is still top in the game, and Siri has been implemented in a better way.:(:)

How is Siri better implemented?

majuha

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Barcelona
I got a couple of questions for you people using Google Voice Search.

Can Google Voice Search use other browsers than Google? Yahoo, Wikipedia?

Can it read or compose new messages?

Can you send a new text message to multiple people?

Can you add location specific reminders? (fx. Remind me to prepare dinner when I get home)

Can you search/book/move/delete meetings?

Open apps?

Look for local restaurants? (fx. I want some thai)

Translate?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.