Video Compression with I-movie, need another way

erikpmort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
So I post youtube clips occasionaly, and i find a large gap between full quality and cd quality compression. so i choose cd quality and end up with a 12 mb compression, and i wish that i only had to compress to more like 100 mb the youtube maximum. What compression software (hopefully free) will let me choose the compression?

thx for the help

Mjolnir 998

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
you can use imovie easily to do that,

when imovie says CD quality or Full Quality select Full quality, that doesn't mean its gonna be uncompressed, full quality allows you to select the format you want. then just select the format you want, for youtube use ipod format, this gives you a small sized file that works great with youtube

**EDIT***
read it wrong, full quality DOESN'T do that, my bad, I meant to say use Expert Settings. and after reading your post again, don't select ipod format, use quicktime format, and adjust the quality of it till it gets to a point where it hits close to maximum file size.

erikpmort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
ok so now i'm playing around with this, is there a way to judge the size of the compression before you compress the movie? all i see is a slider that judges video quality. I want to get it as close to 100 mb as possible to retain quality

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
ok so now i'm playing around with this, is there a way to judge the size of the compression before you compress the movie? all i see is a slider that judges video quality. I want to get it as close to 100 mb as possible to retain quality
Normally down further on the screen where you adjust the bitrate for the video, it has a section of specs and one of them shows estimated filesize. It should change as you chanage the bitrate (quality) of the video compression settings.