Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cain772

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
San Diego, California
Can I get some help finding video compressor like Video Monkey or Visual Hub that will work on Mavericks for a reasonable price or better yet free.

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
If you have Final Cut Pro, the Compressor program that comes with it works really well.

If not, you can download MPEGStreamclip. It's free and it's something I use quite regularly. Very helpful in converting files, but also helpful in compressing files by using the quality slider bar. Hope this helps.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Thanks guys for the recommendations. I want to make my videos smaller in order to make make room on my iPhone.

Handbrake is popular, free, and does a nice job making videos fit on an iPhone. Its defaults are adjustable if you want to sacrifice quality for smaller size.

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
It's actually a stand-alone program now:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/compressor/id424390742?mt=12

Annoying if you've already bought Final Cut, but much, much nicer if you just want Compressor without buying Final Cut.

Huh, good to know, even though I have FCP. Easier to recommend to people.

That said, I know this forum is very pro Handbrake and I find it useful for a lot of things, but I personally go with MPEG Streamclip 9.9 times out of 10. To me it's just much faster, easier to control, wide variety of codecs to choose, etc. To each his own though, I suppose...

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Huh, good to know, even though I have FCP. Easier to recommend to people.

That said, I know this forum is very pro Handbrake and I find it useful for a lot of things, but I personally go with MPEG Streamclip 9.9 times out of 10. To me it's just much faster, easier to control, wide variety of codecs to choose, etc. To each his own though, I suppose...

Under the hood, they all use the same codecs and the ffpeg process.

I stopped using Streamclip a few versions ago as it kept choking on a couple challenging videos (anything with frame drops or other anomalies), and worse, locked up the computer. Never liked its GUI and thought is was so slow, never taking full advantage of the cores available. For quick short stuff perhaps OK. But as you say, to each their own and there is a broad variety of interface choices.... Handbrake, although not without fault, seems to be the most robust tool out there.

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Under the hood, they all use the same codecs and the ffpeg process.

I stopped using Streamclip a few versions ago as it kept choking on a couple challenging videos (anything with frame drops or other anomalies), and worse, locked up the computer. Never liked its GUI and thought is was so slow, never taking full advantage of the cores available. For quick short stuff perhaps OK. But as you say, to each their own and there is a broad variety of interface choices.... Handbrake, although not without fault, seems to be the most robust tool out there.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to give Handbrake another crack. I haven't used it in awhile, but just messed around with it a little bit ago and I see nowhere that lets me choose a wide variety of codecs like MPEG Streamclip. I see I can choose MP4 or MKV and some advanced settings, but where can I go in Handbrake to convert to MOV or alter the codec?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hmm, maybe I'll have to give Handbrake another crack. I haven't used it in awhile, but just messed around with it a little bit ago and I see nowhere that lets me choose a wide variety of codecs like MPEG Streamclip. I see I can choose MP4 or MKV and some advanced settings, but where can I go in Handbrake to convert to MOV or alter the codec?

Nowhere, as HandBrake only offers the MP4/M4V and MKV containers and these codecs:
MR2ss_2014_08_16_pB1_HandBrakeCodecSelection.png

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Nowhere, as HandBrake only offers the MP4/M4V and MKV containers and these codecs:

Okay that's what I thought. This is exactly why I'm so partial to MPEG SC. I know that it's slower, but I prefer to convert directly from one file format or codec to another. I find too much of a loss in data if I'm going through a few conversions. I use Handbrake to rip discs and convert MKV to MP4. You know though, to each his own and all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.