Video conference between imacs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeT125, Jun 5, 2007.

1. MikeT125 macrumors regular

My Dad has an iMac 17" and I will be getting a 20" imac pretty soon. Since the imacs have cameras, microphones and speakers built in them, can I video conference with him over the internet?

We are both on cable modems. If this can be done, how do I "call" him from my computer? Is there a program that I should use in Tiger?

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

4. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

iChat is already installed and works terrific full-screen.

5. MikeT125 thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so in ichat how do I know his "phone number" is it the computer name?

6. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

You will each need a log in ID. These can either be a .mac account or an AIM account. .mac accounts are $99/year, or you can get a 60-day trial for free. AIM accounts are free.

To add a contact, you can either click the plus icon at the bottom of your Buddy List window and enter his AIM account (without the @aim.com) as a new entry, or you can first add it to your Address Book (select AIM from the popup to the right of the Instant Message field in Address Book). Once the address is in your Address Book, you can just add the contact as stated above.

I hope this helps.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

I have probably a dumb question..... Does iChat only work with people on Macs? I.e., a friend on a PC can't tie in to me on my mac - right?

8. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

iChat is free. If you sign up for a trial at .Mac iChat will last forever. Not a cent to be paid.

9. macfaninpdx macrumors regular

There have been mixed results using iChat to video-conference with people on PCs. I think the PC user will need to be running AOL Instant Messenger, but I am not sure which version. I do know from experience that firewalls, routers and port-forwarding may all play significant roles in getting it to work.

Here is some (old) information on the subject: Link

But when I tried this a long time ago, I had very poor results. I have heard more recently that people have been able to video-chat between iChat and AIM on Windows without any special settings. YMMV.