Video Conference software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by timholtz, Apr 30, 2009.

1. timholtz macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of a program to video conference with three or more users (Mac and Windows). I tried skype but I can only figure out how to do audio, and I couldn't get ichat/aol to work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

2. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

Skype, and I guess aMSN has support to audio and video.

3. timholtz thread starter macrumors newbie

right, but that's only one-on-one, I'm asking about having three or more users at the same time.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you have Perian installed? Version 1.1.3 is buggy and interferes with IM clients.

5. timholtz thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I didn't know that. I'm sure I do, I'll try to uninstall it when I get home and see if that works.

thanks

6. fernandovalente macrumors 6502

fernandovalente

I don't know any software that let you talk to 3 people at the same time, excepting by Skype and iChat. You may try finding a site that lets you do it.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Currently iChat is the only client that I know of that allows more than two (up to 4) individuals to a video conference.

Skype does not allow this ... yet. But might in the future.

If I had a business where I had 4 widely separated individuals who needed to video conference on a regular basis cheaply, I would be tempted to purchase 4 low end iMacs and run iChat for this purpose.

Another option would be to purchase 3 cheap PCs for each location and on each PC have Skype installed. So each PC would be connect to one of the other 3 individuals. Not a clean solution, but it would work.

If I had to connect 7 people, I could to it with 2 iMacs at each location or 6 PCs. Again, I would choose the iMac solution.

Other than this, the only systems I know are the quarter million and above type that require numerous Internet lines and have remote control cameras and such. Definitely an expensive way to go.