Video conferencing - not Skype and not iChat!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wonshu, Apr 9, 2008.

1. wonshu macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have a client who's looking into switching over to the Mac and he is looking for video conferencing solutions that ar based on the more "traditional" and "reliable" technologies.

Money is not an issue with this client, performance is.

What kind of solutions are out there and what software/hardware would he need?

He's based in Germany but he conferences all over the world.

Personally I want to get him to at least give Skype a try before investing in a multi-thousand dollar solution that may not function the way he expected.

Options?

Thanks and best
    Hans

2. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

:confused: what's wrong with Skype or iChat? it's free and if he buys a portable Mac or iMac, iSight is already built in so there's no need to drop any money on other stuff.

further more, if he wants traditional and reliable then use a phone. video conferencing on a laptop is still considered recent technology more or less :D

3. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

I've found Skype to be very good too. Some others you might want to check out are XMeeting and Oovoo.

4. Mantasis macrumors member

5. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

did someone charged you for ichat :)

6. wonshu thread starter macrumors newbie

As I wrote: i would recommend Skype and iChat to him. No question. Hands down.

But you're missing the point by recommending it.

Thanks for the xmeeting and oovoo tip, but those seem to be too "unreliable" (please note the "") due to their open source (xmeeting) and beta status (oovoo). He will never go for something like that.

These are people where $15.000 dollar travel expenses for a meeting wouldn't be the problem, they just don't want to travel, but if they do have a video conference it _has_ to go smooth!

So, I ask again hoping for solutions:

What are the commercial industry standards for multiclient video conferencing?

Best
    Hans